I love beer and brewing, but..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strictly stick to beer these days, spirits just **** me up too much these days. Still like a bundy ,

I let my brewing consumption get out of control a few years ago, few trade mates / male family etc nearly every arvo in my shed for months and months, most of a year easy to do when it's also my workshop and the boys unload for the day and schooners start ,plenty of cornies getting consumed. Till I thought enough is enough, and hit the gym and lost 20 kgs.
Moved my keezer upto the house patio, so it's not in the man cave and keeps the family happy.
These days me and the missus very rarely have anything Monday to Thursday , fri and sat prob 5-6 for me, maybe once a month a full blow out fri night . But the hang over is nothing compared to spirits.
I still brew heaps, but it's some for family members and half for me, I usually brew two batches simultaneously at a time, and immediate family get half. Rest for me or social occasions.

Going to always try and keep some mids and lows on taps for visitors and myself.

Question,

What's the legal ramifications if someone has a drink driving issue leaving your house and you provided the beer?

I know morally it's bad, I do stop mates after a few glasses unless they have a driver or leave car here, but occasionally a piss head mate might show up on a sat arvo who's had a few somewhere else, drinks 2-3 at mine and then leaves, if he gets busted or even worse causes an accident, can I be liable ?

Cheers

I know morally it's bad, I do stop mates after a few glasses unless they have a driver or leave car here, but occasionally a piss head mate might show up on a sat arvo who's had a few somewhere else, drinks 2-3 at mine and then leaves, if he gets busted or even worse causes an accident, can I be liable ?

Not a chance. Concider leaving a pub, should they be liable?

I'm with Dae Tripper on that. It is a concern for someone in your position but is it your responsibility? no way.
I will not risk my driving license because it is my full responsibility if I do etc. No fault of the beverage consumed unless the world has totally flipped on its head....

Thought so guys, just what I keep telling the wife, she has alittle dig at me sometimes lol .

Cheers

But it’s your conscious that can be the real problem. If, without seriously trying to stop someone from driving pissed and they had an accident or worse killed someone or themselves it could be very hard living with. But if you did seriously try to stop them and they persisted then not much you can do and your conscious should be clear.

I don't know what the outcome was, I can't remember now, It would have been around 20 years ago... A publican was taken to court for allowing a punter to drive home pissed. I can't recall if it was civil or criminal, I must look it up again.
I do know that as a part of RSA in Vic at least, it is illegal to serve anyone who is intoxicated. And yep, you are intoxicated as soon as you have had one single drink.
Some of the rules and regs policed by the VCGLR are confounding to say the least.

They've changed the wording now but I used to love:

"If you are drunk, violent or quarrelsome, you must leave the premises when asked"

I usually have 1-2 four to six nights a week. Break it up with scotch and wine too

I try to keep it classy at home and try to have at least half my taps 4% ABV or lower, but on the rare occasions that I go out I always find myself at some "craft beer bar" drinking high alcohol stuff, wanting to try one of everything.

I did that on a Thursday night a few weeks back. Friday sucked.

Latest posts

Back