I love beer and brewing, but..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch. Tough words

Rest assured. I'm not a 'fag'. You've nothing to worry about. Oh, and I've probably drunk more beer than you're ever likely to, being a former teen alcaholic brewing 3x fermenting vessels a week and still drinking em' green and topping up with a bottle of real Mcoy on dole day

I've since grown up

Doctormcbrewdle - What I am about to say will offend, however asking for advice about moderation on a forum populated by people who produce their own alcohol is going to result in an extreme bias in the data. Its like asking junkies if their meth usage is normal, "yes it is" will be the response. In Australia alcoholism is celebrated as part of masculinity and male identity if you do not drink hard and heavy your some-kind of fag.

I have a brother who is an alcoholic he drinks at least one bottle of hard spirits a night sometimes more, then he feels like a man and wants to fight. I have a sister who is a heroin junky she lives on the streets doing what ever she needs to get her fix (I come from a violent, broken and abused family). My grandfather on my mother side died in his early 40's from alcohol abuse brought on from PTSD suffered in WW2. I know first hand what addiction is and how it kills, I once watched a young man overdose and die many years ago in Kings Cross right in front of me. Alcoholism is just a slower more sociable normative method of doing what that young man did.

If something does not make you feel good then stop doing it, it you feel you have a problem controlling your consumption then seek help. Just because its a hobby is not a good enough reason to keep doing something. Join a sports club, do woodworking, play video games, go camping, bush walking, find something that you love and makes you happy.

Just for the record I drink beer, but its limited to 2 standard drinks every 3 or more days. I go to the gym, I do martial arts and I love doing woodworking. If alcohol was banned today I would just say who cares and move on.

Bribie G you are cherry picking data, alcoholic liver disease is 100% avoidable their should be ZERO death from alcohol anything. Dementia is a natural degenerative process and cannot be mitigated by any known actions.

for once i paid attention in biology was high school so likely wrong.

You must have paid attention for that bit.

AFAIK the disruption is actually to the production of vasopressin (AKA anti diuretic hormone) which in turn reduces the amount of water that the kidneys reabsorb from urine, increasing the volume expelled.

I believe it's a threshold effect which explains why once it is triggered you seem to be in and out of the loo all night. For me the threshold is about two pints.

Does the quality of the ferment affect the quality of the hangover?

I'm pretty sure that fusel alcohols cause nasty hangovers, and these are produced in higher quantities if your fermentation temps are too high.

Not sure if there is scientific evidence for this though.

Personally I get pretty bad hangovers no matter what beer I drink, mine or commercial. Its the quantity that matters for me. I have sprayed a few toilets in my time the morning after. :barf:

There's a lot of "bro science" that says that secondary metabolites change the "quality" of the hangover experience but I'm not aware of any real science that clarifies this.

I'm somewhere in between Bribie and thumbsucker*, sharing Batz's attitude.

The number of times this question comes up is high - the variety of responses is almost always the same.

Adults in an adult world make choices and take responsibility for them.

*Drink a lot AND keep fit

But hate the shiddy feels it gives! Seriously, I love the hobby and winding down with a few (or 10) beers after work but geez the hangover's really get old quick. I find it hard to stop at just 1 beer. It's my only real hobby so really hard to just give it up.

How many do you guys have a night? Raging alcoholic, or quite the sophisticated conservative? Cheers

I have over drank really really good shit (God shit) on the odd occasion, God Nectar! Must have been a Beer God blessed me quite a few times. Nankasi? She can visit me again and again.
As for consumption though don't get too high on your own supply. Hangover stage is too far. The plan is long term enjoyment like for the rest of your life. So drink in moderation according to how long you want to live. I like the idea of over 100. I've heard its a mindset thing as well. You need to live that long to do all those things and brew all those different types of beers etc.

Hangover?

Really? Like almost never from homebrew.

funny you are...
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0fe2dd10-5a7d-11e7-ad31-8e588690cd15.jpg

You sound actually alot like myself man. I'm semi retired, just quite a bit younger at 35. I own my own company and only work maybe, 20 hours per week. It's great! But the beer is always looking at me through the door of that darn fridge.. ha. I find it especially difficult on a beautiful sunny morning where the pool is calling and know that if I pop one, ill usually end up drunk by lunch. But it's ok. I just make sure I don't need to go anywhere for the day and live a little!

I have never drunk alcohol to get drunk but have ended up that way on many occasions. I just enjoy beer and rarely suffer from a headache style hangover particularly with home brew.
I'm retired now so no longer an after work issue. I drink when I feel like it, some days none, some days a couple before lunch and some days away we go into never-never land.

In my opinion as long as you feel your in control and you are hurting no one else, then enjoy. (An annual health check is always a good thing.). There will be some that will criticise your life style but they are not you and you make your own choices. We are open to the world now, the world clock so being pissed before lunch, or tea or bed or breakfast is not necessarily an issue.

I will repeat, as long as no one is hurt by this. If they are then seeking help may be required.

Opposite for me, I work at certain times of year in the hot sun with dangerous equipment (e.g. swinging a cane knife, hydraulic corers) - Going to the job with anything like a hangover would be bloody dangerous...

A beer or two on weeknights is all that's possible. On the weekend you can have a few though if the mood takes.

Opposite for me, I work at certain times of year in the hot sun with dangerous equipment. Going to the job with anything like a hangover would be bloody dangerous...

A beer or two on weeknights is all that's possible. On the weekend you can have a few though if the mood takes.

Well, actually, I own a landscaping company in FNQ so that 20 hours work is normally done whilst felling trees or digging trenches sweating my absolute clackers off in the tropical heat! I've just gotten used to it over time. Well, as used to it as you can anyway (laughs)

Couldn't do it to my workmates, if I'm swinging a machete close to people and they are doing the same with me.... you better be sober mate. I want to go home with all my bits.

Yea I agree, no one should go to work drunk. But I believe that applies, not just to those on machinery, but also taxi drivers, childcare workers, chefs, etc etc etc. Unfortunately, like everything else in this mad World it happens though

Back