I love beer and brewing, but..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
But hate the shiddy feels it gives! Seriously, I love the hobby and winding down with a few (or 10) beers after work but geez the hangover's really get old quick. I find it hard to stop at just 1 beer. It's my only real hobby so really hard to just give it up.

How many do you guys have a night? Raging alcoholic, or quite the sophisticated conservative? Cheers

I typically have 2or 3. A glass of water (or 2) before bed helps me prevent a hangover

0 for Monday-Thursday
1-6 for Friday-Sunday.

Hydration & eating helps avoid the hangover if I've had 4-6 the night before (though I try to ensure only 1 night per week gets that high in the beer count). Also spacing out the beers a little helps. I also find that after 4 days of 0 booze, I'm much more sensitive to both the booze and the hangover the next morning. So I try to limit the beers on the Friday night to 3-4. And Sunday's the night before the first day of the working week, so that's limited to 1-4 normally.

The problem with this hobby is the longer you do it (hopefully) the better you get, the more you enjoy your beers and the more you want to drink them!

Yes, the hangovers are very annoying, however it's a little reminder that the ethanol is bad for you, and it's a safeguard to encourage moderation. [emoji6]

I find most beer is the least likely beverage to cause hangovers and only if really done to excess, including a very late night, little to no food and/or multiple high abv versions.

Wine, on the other hand, kills me (and whisky too - have to treat that a tad more gently, love it though I do).

None during the week the 4-6 on the other nights including Sunday. Usually a couple around lunchtime on Saturday and Sunday as well.

I have never drunk alcohol to get drunk but have ended up that way on many occasions. I just enjoy beer and rarely suffer from a headache style hangover particularly with home brew.
I'm retired now so no longer an after work issue. I drink when I feel like it, some days none, some days a couple before lunch and some days away we go into never-never land.

Usually no more than 4 a night. Sometimes more if the day at work was a shitty one. Usually have 2 or 3 nights off drinking a week... when doing night shifts. I've never had a headache hangover from homebrew either. After a big one, I might feel a little seedy the next day, but nothing some water and food dont fix.

Ive been drinking about 5 pints a night since 1972.

I recently decided that I wouldn't drink any more.

Or any less.

I was worried about doing this for 5 years. Thank you for making my day. I now know that ive still got another 40 years before i should consider changing my pattern.

To make you even happier still, and in the supporting of Bribie G, I also average out to about 5 imperial pints a day even if having a day off in the week and have so over the same period of time. Beer is good for you and if you drink in moderation like Bribie and myself you are assure longevity.

Comes down to your nutrition and hydration. Stock up on Thiamine tablets (or B-complex tabs) and drink water.
If you suspect you've got a bit of an issue with grog - see your doc.

Just 1 longneck about 6 days in each week. No more than that. Means I only need to brew once every 4 weeks or so. Never get hangovers either with that level of consumption.

Generally none during the week and a couple Friday -Sunday.

Sometimes that doesn't happen and I have some during the week if I have had a crap day or the weather is really nice for having a beer. Only one on these occasions though.

This week though I am trying to empty the minikeg so I can refill it for the weekend. Be damned if it's not running out!

any more than 4 beers in any day is considered bing drinking.... yes lame i know but its true...

i work 2 months on 2 months off. so 2 months dry....and then even when home its no more than 2-3 on a week night every 2nd day. and 4-5 on game night.

im happy with the amount of alcohol i consume and think i manage it well enough. i know my limits.

Same mob that gives butter a lower health rating than ChemoFakeMargarineSubstance and recommends eating Kellogs Nutrigrain that's 30% sugar.
Their heads are so far up their arses they can see their tonsils.

Now, where were we?

What you need is to be born with higher levels of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase than alcohol dehydrogenase. That way your body clears the acetaldehyde faster than it is made so it never accumulates.

A small percentage of people have this quirk: I'm one of them, so I've never had a hangover.

Latest posts

Back