I Kegged My First Brew Today

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
well i stopped into twoc and got a keg king soda stream adaptor. now i got the bottle and guages and some line and away i went.

my beef.

the adaptors are shithouse. the mating faces of the adaptor are not square. Shitty finish on the threads and poor clean up.

I finally got it to seal but iot still leaks a little but it did allow me to carb the kegs up and get ready for the case swap.

I do wish i finally did it earlier. i'll get the adaptor faced square and a 2.3kg bottle now

Now a quick question is how do you guys transfer to the kegs from the fermentor?

with a silicone hose. kegs are where its at

well i stopped into twoc and got a keg king soda stream adaptor. now i got the bottle and guages and some line and away i went.

my beef.

the adaptors are shithouse. the mating faces of the adaptor are not square. Shitty finish on the threads and poor clean up.

I finally got it to seal but iot still leaks a little but it did allow me to carb the kegs up and get ready for the case swap.

I do wish i finally did it earlier. i'll get the adaptor faced square and a 2.3kg bottle now

Now a quick question is how do you guys transfer to the kegs from the fermentor?

yeah i used the beer connect to transfer from the fermentor tot he keg

I use a little run of Silicone hose over the fermenter tap to a John Guest male QD pushed into it, then beer line to a keg beer QD. Gravity does the rest.

1m of silicone hose over the fermenter tap to the bottom of the fermenter.
No need for the disconnect etc IMHO
Cheers
Robbo

the pic of the filling of the keg

Photo0556.jpg

maybe Im an idiot but dont them there kegs have a big arse lid that opens up for sticking shit inside 'em..

1m of silicone hose over the fermenter tap to the bottom of the fermenter.
No need for the disconnect etc IMHO
Cheers
Robbo
this is all I've even done ...

If you do fill a "closed" keg using a disconnect..
...how do know when your keg is full?
Do you rely on the graduations from the side of the fermenter to know how full your keg is?

Also ... how do you vent the keg as you are filling?

I make just under 19L of beer!!

No big deal, just lets you put a blanket of CO2 in.
It seems easier to use the existing tube to the bottom of the keg but whatever gets your beer there...

I use a hose to the bottom of the keg as well, to stop any nasties i use a paper hand towel soaked in starsan to cover the opening.

fish if you shorten that beer line it will fill it faster, thats exactly how i do it. I figure there is less chance of oxidation that way.

@michael_aussie - if you crash chill your fermenter you will see condensation on the side of your keg :)

maybe Im an idiot but dont them there kegs have a big arse lid that opens up for sticking shit inside 'em..

My thoughts too. I have been cautious about filling kegs and also very lax ... and have realised that many people's oxidation worries are largely paranoia.

Hose from fermenter tap that goes to bottom of keg. Fill and purge headspace. Tastes the same as the complicated paranoid method.

I'm not sure using a beer QD counts as complicated.

Maybe I'm an idiot but the kegs have these big sticky out bits for puttings fluids in/out LOL.

I'm not sure using a beer QD counts as complicated.

Maybe I'm an idiot but the kegs have these big sticky out bits for puttings fluids in/out LOL.

2 connects...1 for beer out, 1 for gas in, where the f... is the beer in post.

Well everything else aside it's always great to keg a brew for the first time, only problem is is that it is offset by the sad day when it becomes empty. Almost forgotten what it is like to bottle beer... and when I do bottle it is always with grumbling and complaint.

Cheers
Gavo.

this is all I've even done ...

If you do fill a "closed" keg using a disconnect..
...how do know when your keg is full?
Do you rely on the graduations from the side of the fermenter to know how full your keg is?

Also ... how do you vent the keg as you are filling?

i make 15L of beer or something...

i pulled the prv and away i go.

My thoughts too. I have been cautious about filling kegs and also very lax ... and have realised that many people's oxidation worries are largely paranoia.

Hose from fermenter tap that goes to bottom of keg. Fill and purge headspace. Tastes the same as the complicated paranoid method.
+1 let's keep it simple
Cheers
BBB

Latest posts

Back