I just bought a Keg Master Series 3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It took me way too long to put it together, maybe because I started to late in the evening and I forgot to put the finishing collar on after i put the taps in so I had to strop it and redo.

But

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404317604.680096.jpg

I am now enjoying an Alt, Porter and a Scotch ale!

Cheers

Looks good. Now what to do with all those bottles you spent years collecting? ;)

I've already got rid of the ones I didn't want. The rest will be kept for the extra 6-9l of beer left over on each brew so I can give to mates or barter with. Nice try.

So far I love it. It's nice and compact for a 3 keg system. I have two regs set up on it so I can have English and US styles at different carb levels. I got Perlick 525ss taps and I'm dead happy with them.

It has wheels so I'm tempted to wheel it around the house and take portraits with it to send to mates.

LRG: I've got a knock-off keg mate and it doesn't quite fit 3 full cornies. 2 * 19L & 1 * 12L on the compressor hump.

I wish I'd got a freezer as it's just easier to work with. Can fit more kegs in (maybe not more taps though), easier to run gas and beer lines, all the cold air doesn't fall out when you open the freezer (unlike fridge) , maybe spare room to keep glasses in, etc.

All my comments are based on there being no spare room in my fridge when the 3 kegs in.

And I'd have a collar and taps out the front. Having a t-bar font would mean you'd have to watch opening the freezer every time.

angus_grant said:
LRG: I've got a knock-off keg mate and it doesn't quite fit 3 full cornies. 2 * 19L & 1 * 12L on the compressor hump.

I wish I'd got a freezer as it's just easier to work with. Can fit more kegs in (maybe not more taps though), easier to run gas and beer lines, all the cold air doesn't fall out when you open the freezer (unlike fridge) , maybe spare room to keep glasses in, etc.

All my comments are based on there being no spare room in my fridge when the 3 kegs in.

And I'd have a collar and taps out the front. Having a t-bar font would mean you'd have to watch opening the freezer every time.
Thanks Angus.

Problem (big one) I see is getting a collar - my home handyman skills are not very good (and I lack the tools to do it right). I figured if I did a font, no-one else touches it, and if I put wheels on teh freeer, it isn't too much effort to wheel it forward and open up. It's not like the freezer is going to be open regularly.

Other advantage I see is that if I get a bigger one, I could use it for conditioning or lagering (if there's enough room). Pretty good with getting my lines balanced, so not envisaging a problem with that.

Thoughts? (or are you still hungover from Saturday?)

he he, yeh I'm sure I'd be having 2 cracks at making a collar.

I would be buying a bigger freezer than amount of kegs for taps so you can condition (or lager) beers, store glasses, some commercial beers, etc.

If you've got room to wheel the freezer around and open the lid, awesome. Plus your drip tray would be on top of freezer and not a stainless steel weapon attached to the side of the freezer waiting to cut your knee cap open or scalp one of your kids..

I wasn't actually hung-over on Sunday, just very tired.. It was strange considering how many beers I drank.. :D

The testicular APA is a Lord Nelson with nelson sauvin subbed in as my cascade was at the in-laws. Don't quite think I got the hop balance right. Would probably need to go back to your base recipe if I was to use NS again. I used them all up though though so will stick with the tried and true galaxy + citra + cascade version. :icon_drool2:

I'd say go the keezer LRG, really handy to have that extra room if you wish to cc before Keggjng, or lagering...

Good for tap rotation. Extra fridge space when you have BBQs ect ...

angus_grant said:
he he, yeh I'm sure I'd be having 2 cracks at making a collar.

I would be buying a bigger freezer than amount of kegs for taps so you can condition (or lager) beers, store glasses, some commercial beers, etc.

If you've got room to wheel the freezer around and open the lid, awesome. Plus your drip tray would be on top of freezer and not a stainless steel weapon attached to the side of the freezer waiting to cut your knee cap open or scalp one of your kids..

I wasn't actually hung-over on Sunday, just very tired.. It was strange considering how many beers I drank.. :D

The testicular APA is a Lord Nelson with nelson sauvin subbed in as my cascade was at the in-laws. Don't quite think I got the hop balance right. Would probably need to go back to your base recipe if I was to use NS again. I used them all up though though so will stick with the tried and true galaxy + citra + cascade version. :icon_drool2:
Not scalping kids was another reason to buy freezer. And I'm likely to be clumsy enough to do myself some damage on it.

Not hungover? Must be all that good beer. I find that I can't drink too much commercial beer, but kegged homebrew, I can wake up 3 days later after alcohol poisoning and still be fine.

Testicular APA? Do tell me more. I remember DBS* (I think) telling me he did a Lord Nelson....Chinooking out of this... Pale. Love Chinook for some balance. Nelson can do that, it's not an easy substituter. Some Amarillo (if you can get it cheap enough) is excellent, and some Mosaic will add something, though not the citrus. Need the citrus there.

Edit: *the person who purchased my last kegging system when I moved.........

yeh, I subbed in NS on the fly and obviously didn't get the balance quite right. There's nothing particularly wrong with the beer, just the NS is a bit ummmm bitey. Can't think of the right word to describe it. It's asserting its taste over the citra and galaxy.

It's been in the keg a few weeks so has mellowed a bit. Seems a bit more balanced.

Oh, and on topic: I've got a three tap tower on mine as well and wish I had gone a t-font. Would give a little more space between the taps and could have gone with a normal drip tray. The one to suit my original 1 tap tower doesn't fit the base of the 3 tap tower so doesn't quite catch all the drips.

angus_grant said:

I have a freezer with taps on the lid. Also has wheels.
I DO have to wheel it forward everytime I want to open the lid - had one accident where I opened the lid back and a tap handle hit the wall, turning the tap on, I was so focussed on playing with the gas lines I hadn't noticed until the beer soaked through my socks.. Was pretty damn annoying.
Have managed to learn a lot the hard way with my keg system.
Note, always check your posts seal properly, having to empty a kegs worth of beer from your keezer is both depressing and annoying.
Even worse the second time!

LRG - I can help with a collar if you want. I have had a freezer with a (home made) T bar on it. Just remember that to pull it out it needs to go the height of the T bar, plus the extra distance of how far it is offset on the lid plus the tap height. So all up you may have to move it 800 mm to clear the wall. Then you have the extra stress on the hinges with the font hanging off it.
No real easy solution. I like fonts, but if I had my time again I would think about a coffin set up. Or maybe one of those really cool under bench fridges if I was bar again.
Give me a buzz if you need a hand.
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
LRG - I can help with a collar if you want. I have had a freezer with a (home made) T bar on it. Just remember that to pull it out it needs to go the height of the T bar, plus the extra distance of how far it is offset on the lid plus the tap height. So all up you may have to move it 800 mm to clear the wall. Then you have the extra stress on the hinges with the font hanging off it.
No real easy solution. I like fonts, but if I had my time again I would think about a coffin set up. Or maybe one of those really cool under bench fridges if I was bar again.
Give me a buzz if you need a hand.
Cheers
LB
Thanks mate,

It's a "maybe" thing at the moment - I promised the Mrs a holiday (and heck I don't mind one too) - so it's a matter of how much money I squeeze from Mr Tax Man and whether there's any left over for me.

I have an upright freezer, which is likely to not be needed for regular duties, but really wanted something more purpose - but beggars can't be choosers.

I will take you up on your offer though, if and when the time comes.

At the moment, just brewing up stocks, which requires some diplomacy.

Cheers,
Goomba

Looks awesome, when I am ready for such an investment (1 year+) I will be knocking on your door for tips!

angus_grant said:

Do you mean your is a KegMate as sold by Craftbrewer or a knockoff of a KegMate?

I have two and they fit 3 cornies perfectly.

AFAIK all these KegMates, KegMasters, Tomohawks etc come from the same factory in Zhaianxhaogdo (I just made that name up) :p

some corny kegs are a little bit fatter than others, all the kegmate fridges fit 3 kegs you just have to have the same kegs to fit 3 as bribie just said.

It's a real cheapie (definitely a knock-off) and I haven't managed to find any info on it anywhere. I remember trying to fit 3 *19L kegs in when I first got it an it doesn't fit. It has the curved inside of the door to fit a 50L (don't know if one actually fits) in so perhaps I'll have another go now I've picked up some more kegs.

Would be great to fit 3 * 19L in there.

I reckon the coffin design would be hard to go past looks-wise and would be a project to be proud of. Would have similar design problem to font on top where you'd have to wheel the freezer out or move the coffin to get access to the freezer. Pain in the arse I reckon especially if you stored your glasses or commercial beers in there.

Coffin type designs do look awesome, but I really do love my keezer...

5 different beers on tap, and if I feel like half a glass of this and a glass of that I don't have to worry about warm beer in the lines going up the font.

Each to their own..

Latest posts

Back