I Hope Your Day Was Better Than Mine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Reaction score
oh-noes.jpg

That is an out of focus photo of my 10 litre mini keg, with a nice stream of beer coming out the side. I decanted a brew into it, and connected the little soda charger thingy, only to suddenly hear a hissing sound, and feel my leg getting wet.

It's only a tiny pinhole, so I guess I'm lucky it didn't explode on me. But I lost 10 litres of a brew, and the keg is now useless. The strange thing is its nowhere near a weld or seam, so it appears the metal has just given way.

Being aluminium and a pressure vessel, I doubt anything could be done with it, but if anyone wants it to attempt dodgy home repairs, they're most welcome to grab it.

I'm off to clean up the laundry...

barfridge said:
only to suddenly hear a hissing sound, and feel my leg getting wet.
[post="57948"][/post]​
I get that after drinking a lot.

barfridge said:
oh-noes.jpg

It's only a tiny pinhole, so I guess I'm lucky it didn't explode on me. But I lost 10 litres of a brew, and the keg is now useless. The strange thing is its nowhere near a weld or seam, so it appears the metal has just given way.
[post="57948"][/post]​
I have seen that kind of damage to aluminium, in the presence of acidic liquids. I think McDonalds had a problem with their sweet and sour sauce doing the same thing to the aluminium foil covers until they plasticised the inside.

I had a wet leg today for the big brewday at jayse's. Got a little too near the excitement.

bf

Try some Devcon - it is an aluminium puttty that dries really hard.

Made some where in SA...bloody good stuff - just mix some up and force in it the hole... then use water to smooth it over.

Even better if u can wedge from the inside - make sure the keg is dry first.

Hope this helps....

Latest posts

Back