I Have No End Of Boil Floc. Biab Will I Be Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheel

Reaction score
Thinking I will brew today but don't have any....

Will I be ok at whirlpool or not.

Plenty of brewers in brisbane, why don't you but up your location and see if they can help a brother out :super:

lol thanks

i will go forth and boil wort :)

your welcome to come to Hawthorne to watch and laugh at my technique

PM for location

A month or so back, my cat decided to rip open my pack of irish moss and eat it.

Definately didn't settle out as well in the kettle - although (and i'm sure is completely unrelated) after fermentation and a week of CC, the trub had settled out so well (alot better than usual - and without any finings/gelatine) that I could tip the fermenter up to get the last bit of beer out and the trub stayed stuck together as a nice compact layer.

:icon_offtopic: Did the cat settle out well after the whirlpool?

A month or so back, my cat decided to rip open my pack of irish moss and eat it.

Definately didn't settle out as well in the kettle - although (and i'm sure is completely unrelated) after fermentation and a week of CC, the trub had settled out so well (alot better than usual - and without any finings/gelatine) that I could tip the fermenter up to get the last bit of beer out and the trub stayed stuck together as a nice compact layer.

Finings - ALL finings be they kettle finings, fermenter finings, PVPP... whatever.

Do NOTHING, repeat NOTHING that you cannot achieve anyway with extra time and especially time in the cold.

Kettle finings make your hotbreak come together a little better, so that it makes bigger lumps that sink faster and stick together more tightly on the bottom of the kettle. Allowing you to take nice clean wort off into your fermenter a little faster and more efficiently. It makes Cold break form much bigger lumps that sink faster in your fermenter (not really in your kettle even if you do chill in there) and means that you dont have to get your beer quite as cold to get it to come out of solution and fall to the bottom, instead of staying in the beer. (where it will present as chill haze when you finally do get that beer really cold just before you drink it)

So - without kettle finings, you wait a little longer for your hotbreak to settle. Same result as with finings. You cold crash your fermenter a bit longer and a bit colder. Same result as with finings.

Finings are, at the end of the day, about nothing other than saving some time. You dont need them.... you want them to be sure. But you dont need them.

I kettle no-chill, Thirsty and was wondering why, after 12+ hours of cooling in the kettle, whirlfloc and koppafloc and using none (by accident) can create such different break material results if they are both really useless for this kind of chilling?

Here's what it looked like in the end.
Compared to the last brew it did not whirlpool up as well but that could have been my stirring.

I did see a little go into the cube...

I get a bit of chill haze, i like the taste of it :chug:

cheers

DSCF5187.JPG

I kettle no-chill, Thirsty and was wondering why, after 12+ hours of cooling in the kettle, whirlfloc and koppafloc and using none (by accident) can create such different break material results if they are both really useless for this kind of chilling?

Not useless, i didn't say useless. And definately not without effect, not in any circumstance and certainly not in one like yours.

I said - that kettle finings make bigger flocs of break material that stick together more tenaciously. This is handy if you want to rack clear wort or beer away from your vessel in a shorter period of time. Something that is not necessary if you are willing to throw more time at it.

You are using longer period of time, so you mostly wont need finings to get extremely good settlement of hot break. And because you leave the kettle for so long, you probably will notice that with kettle finings you get some pretty significant settlement of cold break, whereas most people who chill in the kettle and think they get cold break settling out are in fact kidding themselves. Without kettle finings, even after 12 hours there isn't likely to have been a whole heaping lot of cold break settling.

Dependant on how much finings you use, what sort of wort you made, how much hop was in it, the way it looks and behaves will all change. Whether the different results are useful to you or not depends on how you brew and how much of a hurry you are in.

I use to use Irish moss all the time as my fining's, but after listening to this pod-cast from basic brewer I changed my mind on what type of beers I use it for. Interesting listen.

Apparently it can effect you IBU by fining them out along with the proteins etc, etc... I generally only use it for ales that I want nice and bright in a short period of time, but gelatine works just as good. For the lagers as mentioned earlier just leave them and they will clear up.

Does Irish moss really have any effect before fermentation?

chefefect, Irish moss is used as kettle finings, meaning it is used at the end of your boil. I don't think there are any reasons to use it at any other time.

chefefect, Irish moss is used as kettle finings, meaning it is used at the end of your boil. I don't think there are any reasons to use it at any other time.

Yeah sorry I should have explained my post a bit better, that's how I use it. I was just wondering what effects it had in the kettle as I truly don't know, I do know that it works mostly during fermentation.

I haven't listened to the podcast but can you indicate how they suggest whirlfoc at 10 mins will affect IBU (from additions 60 and onwards)?

I haven't listened to the podcast but can you indicate how they suggest whirlfoc at 10 mins will affect IBU (from additions 60 and onwards)?

I would have to listen to it again my self. They had a scientist explain lab results (I'm not a scientist by a long shot) either in this pod cast or another on Irish moss and he went along the lines of it some how dropping the IBUs down when using it in, nothing huge but enough that if you where trying to hit the IBU ceiling you wouldn't want to use it.

I'd really love to see a further explanation and some extra evidence for what one bloke says on a radio show before I give it any credence when it comes to adjusting my recipes.

Whirlfoc strips IBU? Maybe it does.

Noticeably in my wort?

I'm not convinced.

I'd really love to see a further explanation and some extra evidence for what one bloke says on a radio show before I give it any credence when it comes to adjusting my recipes.

Whirlfoc strips IBU? Maybe it does.

Noticeably in my wort?

I'm not convinced.

Ok dude. I thought this was a forum. :huh:

Edit: If you want extra evidence listen to the pod cast, done.

Back