I had a shocker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooper80

Reaction score
Did a nice ale yesterday, used US05. The brew went perfectly. The next day I realised I didn't remember changing my temp control down to 18 degrees. I run under the house to find it still at brew temps, and the fridge is at 33ºC. Already had kraeusen ring around the fermenter. I've turned it back to 18 now.
What can I expect?

Might have some off flavour but you might be lucky. Won't know until you taste it.

Worst case you may get tainted flavour like paint fumes, polyester fibreglass resin. I got it in the past when a post fermented brew got close to 30c.

timmi9191 said:
The title of your post made me think of this, sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbB4cRbR8ek
You beat me to the punch timmi.. was going to ask if he was the shocker or the shockee :lol:

Danscraftbeer said:
Worst case you may get tainted flavour like paint fumes, polyester fibreglass resin. I got it in the past when a post fermented brew got close to 30c.
That is worst case!!! Then the poor grass will have to taste it. So annoyed at myself.

hooper80 said:
Did a nice ale yesterday, used US05. The brew went perfectly. The next day I realised I didn't remember changing my temp control down to 18 degrees. I run under the house to find it still at brew temps, and the fridge is at 33ºC. Already had kraeusen ring around the fermenter. I've turned it back to 18 now.
What can I expect?
Touch and go with this one. If the beer (not the fridge) was at 33C (which I doubt as it would have been cooler that the fridge) you could be in some strife as 33C is getting close to knocking out the yeast.

However assume a best case scenerio and that the beer did not reach 33Cand you dragged it back to 18C within 24 hours (of pitchig that is) you should be okay. If it is going to get a high ester profile, you will soon smell it and then you decide whether to go full term or terminate

We all screw-up something at some stage. Don't sweat it.

As the others have said, it might work-out OK since you caught it, or might be awful drain-fodder (I've lost count of the number of 50L AG brews I've tipped for one reason or another).

Go with it & learn from the experience.

Whats the temperature of your wort now? I've done what you have a couple of times . The first time, the heat from the runway ferment was too much for my fridge ......the result was undrinkable . Second time, I loaded the fermenting fridge with 2 and 3ltr bottles of ice. Dropped the temperature back to 18c within a couple of hours and the beer was a cracker .

hooper80 said:
Did a nice ale yesterday, used US05. I run under the house to find it still at brew temps, and the fridge is at 33ºC. Already had kraeusen ring around the fermenter. I've turned it back to 18 now.
What can I expect?
Crikey, you got a fridge under a house with a temperature of 33C. Hate to think what the temp upstairs was. Innaminka? Bourke?

Fermentation will cause heat anyway, so simply having a fridge set at 18C doesn't mean the wort is at that temperature. You are brewing in summer in a hot land. That said, sadly you need to wait and see what happens. US05 is a strong yeast that can handle a bit of rough treatment. Your beer should be okay, be surprised if it's brilliant, but if the sun and the moon and the stars align .. Well you never know.

What is the gravity reading now and How does the wort taste ?

I reckon that the MJ Workhorse yeast works a treat at those temps.....it's all over in 36 hrs. Goes from grain to brain in 5 days and no bad flavours or smell

A week in and I can't taste any bad or off flavours!! Prob won't be the beer it could've been. I think I've got lucky. Just to be sure I've brewed it again just now!!

it had to happen, maybe you all think violence is wrong or something....?

anyway i got a new sig

Latest posts

Back