I Got Called A Beer Snob...WTF?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno about the beer snob thing, to me, any beer on a hot day, or with mates is fine, no matter what it's got written on the bottle.

I usually buy beers that I either haven't had before, haven't had for a while, liked a lot and want to go again, or that I want to harvest the yeast from.

A friend asked me recently why I don't buy Corona's.

I said that I like beer with flavour. Just as some people prefer bourbon to scotch or rum, red wine over white wine, chardonnay to sauvignon blanc. I prefer to drink beer that has flavour, over beer that has no flavour, that's pretty much it.

On the criteria listed I score 4 from a possible 7, three full scores and two half.

Call me a snob, I don't care.

I'm in the pursuit of being more of a snob with my own beers.
As for commenting on commercial shelf beers they are secondary choice compared to home brews.
Commercial Craft brews serve as a comparison to your home brews.
Call me a snob no prob!

Hang on, you have a blog about beer, a YouTube channel about beer, and you're not a beer snob? Do you even like beer? Why the hell am I reading your blog then?!

madpierre06 said:
It was funny, but my BIL who only ever drank full strength (lite is for pussies), then switched to fourex gold and would accept nothing else, was keen to dry a few of the different beers I took with me at Christmas time. Amongst others, a Belgian pale, a Gose, a Berlinner Weisse, an IPA, and a couple other bog standard pale Ales. He could only take to the Pales, but to his credit kept coming back for more after each of the others.
Sounds like he found a source of free beer haha

n87 said:
So what do you call someone that will refuse to drink anything except XXXX and think less of anyone who doesnt?
A....Queenslander.

abyss said:
A....Queenslander.
Pissed myself laughing at that one. Hate Qlders for several months a year!

Actually I'm a slob who drinks beer, who drinks what I think is the best beer available at hand.

Sometimes I don't have to think because I don't have a choice.

Beer. My saviour, my downfall.

It's 10.25 in New Zealand .. I think I'll have a beer. Even though I am not in NZ.

Coodgee said:
Sounds like he found a source of free beer haha
Hah...nah, he couldn't finish 'em, considering he's always bagged me about bein' a snob to then actually be willing to try some....hope for him yet.

TheWiggman said:
<snip> However, a snob is specifically "a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people." </snip>
I agree muchly. I only think that my tastes are superior for ME, as I have become educated in the ways of beer, through judging and brewing, and with the giving and receiving of feedback.
Everyone else is welcome to drink whatever they want, including faecal-tasting homebrew brewed in a well-used gumboot. (*edit - respect to the person who created that range of unique flavours and submitted the beer for judging at Bathurst on the last time they held the NSW state comp. Kudos).

Danscraftbeer said:
I'm in the pursuit of being more of a snob with my own beers.
As for commenting on commercial shelf beers they are secondary choice compared to home brews.
Commercial Craft brews serve as a comparison to your home brews.
Call me a snob no prob!
Ah, that's the ticket, being selective for you own consumption is not the same as being prescriptive to others.
I can only tell you what happens in MY mouth when I drink that beer. YMMV.
I prefer to be called a Beer Aficionado, if any term is to be assigned. I often say that that us beer geeks hate being called beer nerds.

Fatgodzilla said:
Pissed myself laughing at that one. Hate Qlders for several months a year!

Actually I'm a slob who drinks beer, who drinks what I think is the best beer available at hand.

Sometimes I don't have to think because I don't have a choice.

Beer. My saviour, my downfall.

It's 10.25 in New Zealand .. I think I'll have a beer. Even though I am not in NZ.
That's the spirit, Fatz, even though I have a strong suspicion that you're not having a beer.
It's always beer o'clock in Bavaria (or Vegas, or wherever), Weizen is still a great brekky beer, and can be accompanied with some fruit juice and Weisswurst (or charcuterie platter).

My daughter just called me one of the most offensive names I have heard for some time: 'beer ponce'. Sounds like she has been watching too much Oz and James Drink to Britain. I'll be back after I bludgeon her savagely tell her how offended I am by her beer bigotry,

(*Edit2) Trait: Tries to convert everyone into being a craft beer drinker.
I like to believe that by offering a taste of an interesting beer, I'm broadening someone's horizons rather than practicing some religious-based conversion technique. They like or don't. If not - more for me.
Converting - no. Evangelism - hell yeah. Testify, Brothers and Sisters.

Most of the traits identified as being that of a "Beer Snob", would IMHO only be seen in what I see as a "Beer W@nker" and don't need to be part of my Evangelical Beer Crusade. TESTIFY!

I find a more colloquial term for the somewhat daunting Beer Evangelist is including yourself under the broader classification of Zymocenosilicaphobic *.

That word is enough to start a conversation and then you can proselytise as much or as little as you want (or need).

* link to thread where I defined the word/ condition.

Coodgee said:
I was in Newfarm in Brisbane last year and this try hard hipster guy behind the bar was telling me about this new beer with this brand new hop variety out of Victoria ...called Centennial.
I must try this new hop! [emoji6]

n87 said:
So what do you call someone that will refuse to drink anything except XXXX and think less of anyone who doesnt?
A fool? Hehe!

labels said:
Phew !!!

I feel better now after reading your article - I'm not a beer snob either! I'll sleep well tonight -_-
And my work is done here! [emoji6]

mstrelan said:
Hang on, you have a blog about beer, a YouTube channel about beer, and you're not a beer snob? Do you even like beer? Why the hell am I reading your blog then?!
Ha ha!

I'll let you in on a little secret...I love beer more than my kids...but don't tell them!

[emoji6]

It's OK. I read it today. Some people should just shut up and drink, instead of labelling others as Beer Snob. If you have time to do that, you have wasted valuable drinking minutes. Oops, time for a Dämpfbier tester.

Back