I Fucked Up Or Did I?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBeerBoss

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have started my first brew and its at about stage two of fermenting and all went well alls happening as it should. My only problem the hole way through way that i boiled my hops in 5litres of water with my 1kg LME before adding it to me primary once at a suitable temperature.
Anyways point of the story is the bag somehow broke maybe squeezed to hard or some thing i like to squeeze so i get all the flavour out. So i have all my hops in my brew my theory is it shouldnt be a problem given i have sediment reducers and a secondary ready to go for racking. On my racking tube there is a sediment reducer on each end so im thinking after racking i should have an extra tasty (hop wise) but clear brew. or am i wrong help boys?

Given that you are going to rack I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. If its still looking a bit 'hoppy' in the secondary I would consider using some finings (1/2 tbsp of gelatine disolved in a bit of warn water) a few days before bottling. Also (assuming you are bottling) I would bulk prime which means you are going to rack it once more from the secondary and make it easier to leave the crud behind.

I never use a bag, just throw the hops in 99% left behind under the yeast, then i 2ndry (with more dry hops) these sink to the bottom. I expect no problems from your brew

It shouldnt be a problem at all. A lot of us *add* hops to the fermenter (dry hopping)

:)

The only time I use a bag (or stocking) is when I'm using hop plugs instead of pellets.
I was told the plugs break up and don't settle like the pellets do.

Shed said:
The only time I use a bag (or stocking) is when I'm using hop plugs instead of pellets.
I was told the plugs break up and don't settle like the pellets do.
Thats why you make one of GMKs irrigation filters! Costs < $10.

They're tops :)

i got one adn if using plugs they block up easily

Back