I Couldn't Wait

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammag

Reaction score
Sparkling_Ale.jpg

I have just returned to home brewing and have just sampled my latest brew.

It is a Coopers Sparkling Ale kit with 1.5KG pale malt liquid, 300gm dex, 100gm LDME and 100gm maltodextrin.

I syringe primed with a dextrose/water solution.

I brewed with recultured Coopers yeast at about 20 degrees.

It was in the fermenter for 10 days and has only been bottled for 7 days, but as I said, I couldn't wait.

Perfect head, clear enough and tastes good to me.

I am now trying my Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale kit, plus 500gm LDME, 250gm maltodextrin, 500gm dextrose, similar timeframe, but nowhere near as nice. Maybe it will mature. The Sparkling Ale unfortunately won't be maturing as I'll be drinking it!

Damian.

I never had much luck with the Morgans Royal Oak, exceptionally bitter to my taste. If you can get the Queensland Range where you are, the Queenslander bitter plus a sprinkling of Cluster Hops, that brew enhancer mix you used, and a more neutral yeast (US-05) is about as good as you will get with a kit, IMHO.

Welcome back to the obsession :)

I'm currently trying to finish off the last of my royal oak. Imade it according to the brewcellar kilkenny clone recipe and overall find it overly sweet and thin, with no head. Very dissappointing compared to my later efforts but I need the bottles :D

I'm currently trying to finish off the last of my royal oak. Imade it according to the brewcellar kilkenny clone recipe and overall find it overly sweet and thin, with no head. Very dissappointing compared to my later efforts but I need the bottles :D

Yep, you've just described my go at Morgans Royal Oak. The disappointing thing is after I bought the kit I was looking through my old brewing notes and I had already done a Royal Oak kit and described it as boring.

Maybe the kit yeast doesn't help but I don't think I'll bother experimenting.

Back