I Can Feel An Infection C'mon On

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banora brewer

Reaction score
Just made a cascade ipa, just about to pitch the yeast when I notice my 4 year old throw in the rubber o ring, my heart just sank, he ran of crying. So will this beer be a sitting time bomb???

Can't always tell, but I think you will be ok. Just get that yeast working.

QldKev

Where/what situation has the O-Ring come from?

Have you pitched now?

In my very under edumacated experience about infections, and pretty much anything yeast knowledge based, opinion, I would be pitching ASAP!! Its worth the risk rather than writing off a batch over a little something like that - I have read tales of glasses falling in, phones, bugs and anything else you can think of and the beer ending up fine.....

From my understanding, the main case of infection is from wild yeast or an infection to the yeast in the early stages of its life... So unless that o-ring was coated in wild yeast or something that your brewing/pitching yeast eats and becomes a completely different strain instantly, I would be pitching ASAP and hoping for the best - what can you lose, the same as you are thinking of losing now plus a little bit of yeast!

So, time bomb? Maybe, maybe not - but a possible good beer is better than a tipped one.

2c + grain of salt.

BTW: Also, I would be beating that kid and screaming at it until he cries a heap! :eek: :lol: - Obviously, just jokes!

Where/what situation has the O-Ring come from?

Have you pitched now?

In my very under edumacated experience about infections, and pretty much anything yeast knowledge based, opinion, I would be pitching ASAP!! Its worth the risk rather than writing off a batch over a little something like that - I have read tales of glasses falling in, phones, bugs and anything else you can think of and the beer ending up fine.....

From my understanding, the main case of infection is from wild yeast or an infection to the yeast in the early stages of its life... So unless that o-ring was coated in wild yeast or something that your brewing/pitching yeast eats and becomes a completely different strain instantly, I would be pitching ASAP and hoping for the best - what can you lose, the same as you are thinking of losing now plus a little bit of yeast!

So, time bomb? Maybe, maybe not - but a possible good beer is better than a tipped one.

2c + grain of salt.

BTW: Also, I would be beating that kid and screaming at it until he cries a heap! :eek: :lol: - Obviously, just jokes!
I've pitched the yeast, the ring has been sitting outside, and the kid is in bed!!!!! Grrrrrrr

just forget it even happened. I have had a whole hand in the brew while talking and trying to aerate the wort. Still no infections pegged on my board yet lol. Well I did have some funky shit on one but kegged as soon as I seen it and drank it before it took over :p think it was only wild wine yeast anyway

I've pitched the yeast, the ring has been sitting outside, and the kid is in bed!!!!! Grrrrrrr

Ahh... don't stress it mate, not worth the stress....

Sit back relax and forget it happened. Taste your sample, when time, and then turn the thought back on.... every chance you will be tasting the sample or even end carbonated product with a questioning mind, an infection may become your brain looking for it, if you know what I mean.... anyway..

Good luck!

:icon_cheers:

Ahh... don't stress it mate, not worth the stress....

Sit back relax and forget it happened. Taste your sample, when time, and then turn the thought back on.... every chance you will be tasting the sample or even end carbonated product with a questioning mind, an infection may become your brain looking for it, if you know what I mean.... anyway..

Good luck!

:icon_cheers:
I've just had a crownie, so I'll just wait and see what happens.

Oh yeah I am sure cocko has dipped his cock in there a few times to!

Before you pitch draw off 2L for a forced wort test then pitch. At least you will know in a couple of days if your brew is going to be fucked rather than a week or 2.

EDIT: Just read the thread....to late. I reckon it'll be fine as long as you got healthy yeast and good numbers.

Wouldn't you have sanitised the o-ring along with the rest of the gear? If so, you'll be right!!

you sanitise your O ring?? I am more worried about the mould on the outside of my fermenter and in my fridge then the oring lol

12 replies - couldn't read them?

Try again!

FINE!

I kinda skim-read them and upon re-reading it, this "Cocko" bloke summed it up earlier...

But still, stress less, if you sanitise the **** outta everything and get the yeast in quick-smart enough so that it starts to "do its' thing" then you'll be right.

Cheers,
Shred.

PS. Cocko, better? :icon_chickcheers:

What a shame you pitched the yeast . All you had to do is re - boil it for 10 -15 min chill and then pitch yeast .

If it's your fermenter o ring, why don't you just take a peace of wire or a bent coat hanger or whatever, spray it with star san (or dump it in nappisan beforehand if you feel like) and fish the o ring back out?

If you would've done that straight away you would at least have minimised the number of possible nasties and thus, in combination with a healthy, active starter, minimised the risk of infection.

If you pitch a big, healthy population of yeast they'll nuke the shit out of any bacteria in there.

Some yeast are even used as anti-biotics!

Back