Hydrometer vs Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use in your brewing?

• Hydrometer exclusively

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Refractometer exclusively

• I use both for AG

• I use both for kit/extract

• I use my airlock!

• What's a Hydrometer/Refractometer?

• Total voters
jaypes said:
Hi All

Just getting a run down of who uses what on AHB.

I suspect most kit/extract brewers would use a hydro and AG using a refrac/hydro combo both due to simplicity.

(Trying to justify a new Refrac purchase - What are the best ones and from who?)

Cheers
Jaypes
Readings/samples no longer taken for over a year now. eg established grain bill's total range for both base/spec, identical fermenters, same equipment & general processes, Fridgemates, etc.

Ales ferment a minimum 3 weeks & lagers 4 weeks; fermenters' then chilled @ 1C for 10-21 days; bottled (PET) and left at room temperature until bottle is 'hard', then all into 5C beer fridge (yeast back to sleep)

I have been brewing for maybe 6 months now and have broken 3 hydrometers. I should have bought a refractometer but I was a little put off by it thinking it was too high tech.
Was discussing my breakages with some one yesterday and discovered I am not the only person who has broken a hydrometer in their mouth.
Any one else willing to put their hand up for that?

sillyboybrybry said:
I am not the only person who has broken a hydrometer in their mouth.
Evidently you're doing it wrong, you should use the tall skinny cylinder that it arrived in, not your mouth. :D

sillyboybrybry said:
I have been brewing for maybe 6 months now and have broken 3 hydrometers. I should have bought a refractometer but I was a little put off by it thinking it was too high tech.
Was discussing my breakages with some one yesterday and discovered I am not the only person who has broken a hydrometer in their mouth.
Any one else willing to put their hand up for that?
I have been trying to work out a circumstance whereby a hydrometer would end up in someones mouth. Could you enlighten me thus correcting my obvious ignorance :blink:

Rowy said:
I have been trying to work out a circumstance whereby a hydrometer would end up in someones mouth. Could you enlighten me thus correcting my obvious ignorance :blink:
I just didn't want to waste a single drop of the sweet sweet beer. First step of cleaning is hydrometer goes in mouth.
Blame my mum for letting me lick the beaters when she was finished cooking.

sillyboybrybry said:
I just didn't want to waste a single drop of the sweet sweet beer. First step of cleaning is hydrometer goes in mouth.
Blame my mum for letting me lick the beaters when she was finished cooking.
You have broken three hydrometers in your mouth? Might be time to let a few drops of beer go.

Dropping a barometer is never fun. Usually ends up in tears or large amounts of swearing

You need a dentist
270px-Jaws_-_Profile_%282%29.jpg

Yeah I broke the first one drying it, the second one was dropped by the wife and the third one was in my mouth.
Poor jaws - you know he was in a great deal of pain with those metal teeth in!

Looks like mrs warra may receive a refractometer for her next birthday.

Should I run a poll whether this is a good idea?

warra48 said:

bugga the poll,its a good idea do it.

reminds me of a mate who wanted a bigger boat,his missus said no,so he bought it for her as an anniversary pressie.
he was in the shit for a while, as no doubt you could be :) but you end up with what you want and the depth is always variable. ..cheers..spog..

warra48 said:

It is definitely a good idea. I just bought my wife one to replace the one she broke.

Waiting for my refractometer to arrive today...hydrometer is good but it only takes a few bubbles or a slightly different temp to get the reading wrong and with my current beer its black as night and full of all sorts of crud (dry hop city without a bag) its even worse :lol:

I'm in the boat of I'm not a fan of wasting beer, not so bad with a full batch of 20+ litres but when you do a half batch or something small and experimental then a few drops is a lot better.

It's like the 2nd fridge so many of us buy for our mrs. Easier to apologise later, than seek permission in the first place. :)

I broke a hydrometer a couple of weeks ago, oddly enough just after saying to the mrs how I don't understand how people can break them...they must be bloody clumsy or something. :lol:

I only use my refractometer now.
As I take a few samples throughout the process, and a couple at end of fermentation, I waste a lot less beer by putting two drops on the refracto, rather than 100ml in the hydro!

Does little bits of crud in your sample affect the index of refraction?

Should we be letting our sample settle?

I don't usually - but I wonder if it makes a difference.

Nick JD said:
Does little bits of crud in your sample affect the index of refraction?

Should we be letting our sample settle?

I don't usually - but I wonder if it makes a difference.
I wonder the same thing. My pre-fermentation samples quite often have a fair bit of chunky floaty stuff in them. As long as the chunky floaty stuff isn't sugar, I don't think it'll impact the measurement?

I take a very small sample and let it sit in a measuring cup for a few mins to let the crud settle out, then draw off a couple of drops for the refracto.

As per a few other brewers have stated on here, I also use both.

Refrac for pre ferment, hydro for during/post.

Latest posts

Back