Hydrometer table has changed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvdp

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered, I couldn't find a relevant thread.

So I smashed my 10 year old hydrometer a couple of weeks back and replaced it with the same one, Alla Wine & Beer Hydrometer (this). Both hydrometers came with a table and instructions for calculating alcohol content. But I noticed tonight that the table has changed. Where the old on says potential alcohol is 0 at SG 1.000, the new one says potential alcohol at SG1.000 is -1.5%. This makes a pretty big difference (over 1%) at standard brewing gravities. There's photos of the two charts attached.

Does anyone know the background to this change?

CCI06052019.jpg
CCI06052019_0001.jpg

Interesting, worth noting that the changes are to scales I for one don't use. The potential alcohol scale is used by some wine makers but I think most brewers use SG and the simple equation (in points) Change/7.5=ABV% (or a variant of the same) i.e. if OG was 1.050 and FG was 1.010 your change is 40 "points" so 40/7.5=5.33%.
All I can think of is that someone has improved the accuracy of the potential alcohol scale, maybe real-worlded it so it's closer to what people actually get... or its a stuff up.

That's a great example of "Mandela Effect" residue!!

Or more likely it's one of MHB's previous explanations...

Latest posts

Back