Hydrometer reading when pressure fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cha

Reaction score
Hey all. I got my first batch pressure fermenting at the moment. It's been sitting at around 18psi for 4 days. How do you achieve an accurate reading when the beer is fizzy? I heard the bubbles cause the hydrometer to read a false reading. You guys have some tips?

Hey all. I got my first batch pressure fermenting at the moment. It's been sitting at around 18psi for 4 days. How do you achieve an accurate reading when the beer is fizzy? I heard the bubbles cause the hydrometer to read a false reading. You guys have some tips?
hi cha, yes, bubbles do that.
what sort of hydrometer are you using??
if it's glass that sits inside a tube variety, just rattle the hydrometer against the tube wall a few times to shake the bubbles off it.

hi cha, yes, bubbles do that.
what sort of hydrometer are you using??
if it's glass that sits inside a tube variety, just rattle the hydrometer against the tube wall a few times to shake the bubbles off it.
Yea it's a glass type one. Thanks alot for the tips guys. I was actually not sure whether it was just the bubbles or the fact that Co2 diffused within the beer would also play a factor. Good to know.

Yep. Also watch out for bubbles or "head" on top of the sample, which can cling to the stem and interfere. We're talking like 1 or 2 points but still worth noting.

Yep. Also watch out for bubbles or "head" on top of the sample, which can cling to the stem and interfere. We're talking like 1 or 2 points but still worth noting.
wasn't aware of that one - although i tend to wait for those bubbles to pretty much drop out cos i can't see the markers very well until they do. cheers

Back