Hydrometer Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
Brewed a tripel yesterday. 60 seconds of Pure O2 and repitched onto a large amount of Wyeast 3787.
I took a gravity readying before going to bed and this is what I woke up to. I got rid of the krausen the first time and it built up to this within 30 mins.

_IGP9660.jpg

My first thought was top cropping from the hydrometer ^_^
How's the fermenter looking? Is it trying to escape as well?

How much yeast was a 'large amount'?

Throw a pic of the fermenter, it must be going off pretty hard.

Here's what I woke up to this morning.
s04.jpg

No it's not a scene from Aliens!

Both of these 2 fermenters are 2nd gen S04. I poked that right hand side one and the top dropped down pretty quick, so all cleaned up now.

Better be a cracker of a beer...

QldKev

Was this a wort sample before it went into the fermenter?

I always get the hydrometer krausen from wild yeast in the spring/summer months, when I leave it out like that. Always worry that shaking the fermenter for aeration is introducing it to my fermenter as well.

This is it 24hrs after pitching. Its gunna be smelly in a few days....

_IGP9670.jpg

Was this a wort sample before it went into the fermenter?

I always get the hydrometer krausen from wild yeast in the spring/summer months, when I leave it out like that. Always worry that shaking the fermenter for aeration is introducing it to my fermenter as well.
No, I grabbed a sample after pitching so its yeast I want in there. I find my gravity drops if left in the tube too from infections from not cleaning it properly. Nothing as vigorous as this though

3787 morning after pitching.

IMG_0494.jpg

Got even higher with 1272 in a black IIPA. Should have just fit a blow off and had the tube going into a 10 litter bucket of water.

Back