Hydrometer Increments

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
Hi people,

I've wondered about this for a while - exactly which line on the hydrometer scale corresponds to the number? Bit hard to explain in words, but the pic below should help. Which line corresponds 1.020 - line "a" or line "b"? This may be a very stupid question, but to me there's a case for either line to be the right one. The line below the number "20" is a more obvious line, but line "b" actually sits in line with the number.

hydrometer_2006_01_21_004.JPG

T.D. said:
Hi people,

I've wondered about this for a while - exactly which line on the hydrometer scale corresponds to the number? Bit hard to explain in words, but the pic below should help. Which line corresponds 1.020 - line "a" or line "b"? This may be a very stupid question, but to me there's a case for either line to be the right one. The line below the number "20" is a more obvious line, but line "b" actually sits in line with the number.

[post="103935"][/post]​

Line "A" The long line is the printed number :)

cheers Ross

Thanks guys. Nice to finally have a definitive answer on this!

T.D. said:
Hi people,

[post="103935"][/post]​

Look at it this way. Check the line at 1.010. You notice that it is also sits in line with the number and that line is wider than the mark before or after. Each smaller mark represent an increment of 2 and each longer line represent an increment of 10 from zero. Therefore, 1.020 mark is represented by the wider line even though the actual number 20 is not sitting on the line. My guess is that printers increment (depending on size of pixells) does not necesarily follow an even path and the resultant print does not follow an even distribution in relation to lines which is spaced exact distances apart.

Clear as mud?

Cheers.
PeterS.... :beer:

Cheers.
PeterS.... :beerbang:

I'm with Line A on this one..... but things seem to get a little sketchy, when your sample has a miniscus and/or you are brewing a dark beer.
the refrac does make things alot easier, but taking a hydro sample is often good... especially for the all important taste test.. :D

Latest posts

Back