Husky's 2.5BBL Collaboration Brewery Build - 3V 300L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All it needs is a second boiler & you're set for parti-gyles aplenty (just like they used to do in the olden days).

I genuflect in your general direction.

Super ****!ng impressed with how this has turned out! pretty much exactly as I envisaged it from day 1. Budget constraints have slowed progress unfortunately, bad time of year and already over what I forecast to spend so now looking like a Jan finish hopefully.
Since last update I have insulated the MT base, completed running all conduits and cables as well as finished most of the mechanical items. It's all pretty much complete except for the electrical panel which is surprising me with the cost of components. I have been buying them bit by bit but now waiting until I find a second hand panel complete somewhere so I can strip the internals and use all the terminals, switches, MCCB etc as buying individual is adding up to crazy amounts. I have seen plenty around so shouldn't take too long.
Some current pics:

View attachment 109841 View attachment 109842 View attachment 109843 View attachment 109844 View attachment 109845 View attachment 109846 View attachment 109847 View attachment 109848 View attachment 109849 View attachment 109850
Super impressive Husky. Your D&C skills is such a pleasure to see. Thank you for sharing.

Well 6 weeks off work has certainly helped push this project along. Having put over 150 hrs into the electrical and automation since Christmas, my target of commissioning before end of Jan is on track. The electrical works took quite a while to build, wire up and fault find IO testing. I haven't looked at the PLC program for months and assumed I had finished it but it still needed a lot of work so put a few full days into that also. All in all really really happy with it!
I have done some basic water testing recirculating water and pumping all over the place etc. Have also tested the HERMS/RIMS system to great effect. Running 10 l/min flow rate I was getting approx. 1 deg C temp rise even with such a small tube, the key is being able to run the oil bath up to 150 deg C on a cascade controller. The mash tun heat belt has been tested and gave approx. 1 degC per 4 minutes temp rise however the initial plan will be to run this at maybe 10% power only just to maintain temps.

Still to do:
  • Add the isolator switch to the front of the electrical panel
  • Add some polycarb sheets to cover the live 240V terminals inside the panel
  • Run a 63A elec supply to the shed and source a 63A flex cable, plug and socket so I can run multiple elements at a time. Currently I have it wired to a 20A point only.
  • Add a density meter to the mash recirc for constant gravity readings
  • Fine tuning control loops
  • Add automation functionality
  • Source some big heaters for the kettle. The wiring and SSR's are already in place just need to decide on some heaters
  • Make a gasket for the HLT electrical box
  • Trial some different mash return options
  • Find some people who need wort!
Below is some electrical progress shots, I will add some overall brewery shots shortly. I will also add some info on the automation over the next few days once I have done some more testing.

IMG_1200 (Large).JPG

IMG_1171 (Large).JPG

IMG_1176 (Large).JPG

IMG_1227 (Large).JPG

IMG_1419 (Large).JPG

IMG_1453 (Large).JPG

IMG_1482 (Large).JPG

IMG_1238 (Large).JPG

You're a nutter, but I love what you're doing!
With a taste for alarming photography! Open liquid beverages sat on top of open electrical circuitry's and no NO! tiny tot sticking steel screw drivers into electrical curcuitry's! :eek:
Lucky we know you around here. Post that up on facepalm nannystate and you'd get reported probably.
:D

That is beautiful work mate. All your brewery is so clean. You must have some tools.
What is your profession? Electrical engineer or something?

Your going to have to open a brewery. Half of its done!

Gents husky obvious has an addiction.... to shiny stainless, being the suportive bunch that we are, we should be encouraging him to attend meetings.

Like a couple local brew clubs to get thing wet and dirty!

With a taste for alarming photography! Open liquid beverages sat on top of open electrical circuitry's and no NO! tiny tot sticking steel screw drivers into electrical curcuitry's! :eek:
Lucky we know you around here. Post that up on facepalm nannystate and you'd get reported probably.
:D
Yes, I suppose only I know that there was no power supply cables even installed when those pics were taken. I just thought it was cool that the little fella picked up on what I was doing and replicated it. Maybe I should have made him wear some safety thongs:D

That is beautiful work mate. All your brewery is so clean. You must have some tools.
What is your profession? Electrical engineer or something?

Your going to have to open a brewery. Half of its done!
Mechanical/process engineer in food and bev industry so have a lot of contacts and a good sense of best practice when designing and building food manufacturing equipment. Yes opening a brewery may be on the cards one day, lots going on behind the scenes. Unfortunately the equipment is the easiest part.

Gents husky obvious has an addiction.... to shiny stainless, being the suportive bunch that we are, we should be encouraging him to attend meetings.

Like a couple local brew clubs to get thing wet and dirty!
If only I didn't work every Wednesday night I'd actually be able to attend some Melb brewers meetings!

Oh yeah we want pic's more pic's or it didn't happen!
Yep, will put some pics up tomorrow, wheeled it outside yesterday(skid mount is awesome!) and got some good ones just need to sort through them.

There are no words.

[emoji114][emoji119][emoji122][emoji119][emoji114][emoji114][emoji119][emoji122][emoji119][emoji114][emoji114][emoji119][emoji122]

Yeah but there's something missing, ah yeah the safety signs for JB. The young tacker will be fine, he can't ready yet anyway.

Latest posts

Back