Husky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjcomposer

Reaction score
I picked up a couple of bags of specialty malt a while back.

I have a couple of problems.

1. The chocolate and black malts aren't cracked
2. I haven't got a mill
3. It was from a HBS that just sells packets, not bulk, so i can't get them to crack it.
4. I would feel really bad about going to my other (favourite) HBS and asking them to do it

Will a rolling pin do or will it be too much?

Advice? Help?

Thanks

Best to do exactly as you have and buy it uncracked for long storage, just crack the amount you need each time. Anything vigorous and noisy will do the trick, like tea towel plus rolling pin, mortar and pestle etc.

an old timer tried to tell my girlfried
a hammer & garbage bag does the trick for him.

crackers

edit:
that didnt mean to sound the way i typed it

bjcomposer

Might help if you filled out your location - if in adelaide and near barossa oe edinburgh - could lend you my BC - Barley Crusher.

Otherwise
Get large flat oven tray. Lay grain approx 1 grainule deep over the tray.
Cover with tea towel. Roll entire tray with rolling pin a few times.
Check to make sure grain well cracked - repeat with rolling pin until done.
Put cracked grain in mash tun.

Repeat process until all grain needed for the mash is cracked and done.
Now mash as per normal -
NOTE: people who use this method usually add an extra 30mins to the mash time to compensate for the grains not being cracked with a grain mill.

Hope this helps

bjcomposer said:
yI picked up a couple of bags of specialty malt a while back.

I have a couple of problems.

1. The chocolate and black malts aren't cracked
2. I haven't got a mill
3. It was from a HBS that just sells packets, not bulk, so i can't get them to crack it.
4. I would feel really bad about going to my other (favourite) HBS and asking them to do it

Will a rolling pin do or will it be too much?

Advice? Help?

Thanks
if you are in Adelaide bj you can come and use my mill. just pm me.

Cheers
TDA

I found the best way was to put the grain in a pillow case, spread the grain ideally one grain layer thick, then bash each part of the layer of grain once smartly with the flat side of a meat hammer (used to flatten veal for wiener schnitzel, etc) I never found the rolling pin did much, YMMV

A bit fancier, buy a Corona Mill from a big import warehouse (Gaganis bros in Adelaide) i went real fancy and imported a Valley Mill :)

Remember, specialty grain can be much more coarsely ground than pale malts.

Jovial Monk

jovial Monk

Thanks to everyone for their advice and quick replys. Will try a couple of different methods for my first attempt at a stout (kit, plus malt, plus spec grains, plus some hops of some sort)

Will also fill out my details better. I'm in canberra. Thanks

bjcomposer

Latest posts

Back