Hurricanes And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Of course the first thing you need after everything has been destroyed by a Hurricane is beer. I believe it aids in relaxing and planning the cleanup and rebuild processes :beerbang:

Beers,
Doc

A looter carries a bucket of beer out of a grocery store in New Orleans on Tuesday, Aug. 30, 2005, as floodwaters continue to rise in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina made landfall on Monday. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Beer_hurricane_katrina_ladm109.jpg

Our company has an office in Biloxi. The office still stands but everything in it has been damaged by flood waters.
Three of the guys who I worked with in Alaska (they are all Aussies), have lost everything including the apartment block they lived in.
Not good.

C&B
TDA

looters are the scum of the earth, they are like maggots taking advantage of someone else's misfortune and should be shot on sight.

Shootings too good. Let 'em die of thirst with a fridge full of beer just out of reach.

or in this case as it floats away! :p

Surely he left the money on the fridge, or is my faith in human nature misguided

with that cheesy grin I think he may have forgotten to leave the money on the fridge :)

hes that busy smiling at the chopper hes dropped his bag of chips !!!lolololol

Saw this pic on another forum 15 minutes ago. When I saw your title, Doc, I just knew the pic was going to be in here too.

Looters are scum.

pint of lager said:
Is that a tin of VB jammed in his back pocket?
[post="74619"][/post]​

It's an upside-down bottle of heiny in his heiny pocket.

Who says he is a looter?

He could well be a brave man putting his life at risk to rescue this flood stranded beer

A hero I say!

Beer can breathe underwater so long as it keeps its wetsuit on.

he needs a barber not a beer!

Good to see they are battling on.

'Big Easy' bites back: shrimp, warm beer, Hurricane drinks
Story here

Beers,
Doc

i know what they're going through -

For our third wedding anniversary, with toddler in tow, we went to Jamaica, to stay with my parents who were working there at the time - The day after we arrived, hurricane Gilbert devasted the Island form one end to the other. The next 3 weeks were spent with no electricty, rationed food, terrible sanitation, unpassable roads & unusable beaches. The days were spent finding groceries or holed up in one of the hotels where they at least had generators to provide cold drinks & a break from the hot/humid weather. There was a 6 o'clock curfew everynight because of the looters, so evenings were spent by candlelight at home, drinking warm beer/wine - The only highlight, in a strange way, was to pass through the eye of a hurricane - 160 mile an hour winds changed in an instant to an eeire calm & bright sunshine. 45 minutes later as we were surveying the damage (quite minimal at this stage as the trees, electricity poles etc were just leaning, but not uprooted), there was a howl as the wind whipped up into an instant frenzy, but in the opposite direction to the first phase. This had the effect of uprooting the weakened trees & hurling debris etc everywhere - this is when the cathostropic damage really happened...
Certainly was an anniversary to remember :blink:

I don't know about his brand preference, but it sounds like he was ready to wait it out. :lol:

Beers,
Doc

'Stranded - please send beer'

New Orleans - Many stubborn New Orleans residents are refusing to leave their homes, and some are making clear their determination to stay in a style that could come only from the hard-drinking, good-time city.

Curt Belton, a department of wildlife and fisheries agent in charge of boats touring the city, told on Tuesday of a message found in a wine bottle drifting in floodwaters along Canal Street in the entertainment district.

"To whom it may concern: Please send with immediately, (one) ice-cold chest of Coors Light. I'm out at this time.

"Down to wine. Some shrimp and oysters would also be appreciated.

"Thank you," said the note, which was signed and gave an address.

Belton said the patrol went to the home and found the author sitting on his front porch.

Between sips of wine, he told them he was staying and had enough wine to last "quite a few days".

Belton said he was going to frame the note because it was "pure New Orleans".

The emergency official said that of the 15 to 20 people his patrol encountered in homes on Monday, only one agreed to leave.

"There's just a ton of people still out there," Belton said.

"They don't want to come, and the main reason they're giving us is their pets," he said. "It's crazy."

Coors Light & hard drinking ???
:huh:

it's "light" as in light on carbs & low calorie isn't it?

not light as in on alcohol (well, no more so than most US beer anyway).

Back