Hungry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
Well I don't know what happened but I was after a simple Australian Ale and the yeast got really hungry. The recipe:

BIAB
Batch size = 26L

5.5kg Pale Ale (BB)
500g Caramalt

20g POR @ 60min

CB Ale Yeast
MASH @ 64C for 60 min

1/2 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min

70% efficiency according to BrewMate.

OG 1050
FG 1005

The FG was supposed to be at 1013 but it got to 1005 which makes it 6% ABV which is 1% higher than it should be.

No idea what went wrong I hit all targets except OG should have been 1051 but was happy with 1050 (I really don't worry over .001 difference.) It is the FG that concerns me.

Any ideas of what may have happened here?

i suspect it's magic! or at least some form of sorcery

this?

64'c is at the fair lower end creating more readily fermentable sugars? I take it you were aiming for a dry finish?... lol... you'll get that!!

:icon_cheers:

That said, our swap brew was 1065 and mine finished out at 1008 so is gunna whack a fair punch... and that was a 90 min mash at 66'c I think from memory..

Yob

when you say "cb ale yeast" are you meaning coopers yeast? if so that is why.

I made a beer once that went from 1.090 to 1.006 with US-05.

AFAIK, the craftbrewer strain is a blend of 2 yeasts, one for fruity flavours, the other to ferment out dryer than the fruity strain will.

Im not 100% on that but im sure i read it one night.

Most likely you hit all the buttons for the yeast with pitching rate, pH, temp, no pitching stress, fresh healthy yeast etc etc and it hammered down as it should.

cheers

No, CB Ale Yeast is a yeast that Craftbrewer has that is very similar to US05.

AFAIK, the craftbrewer strain is a blend of 2 yeasts, one for fruity flavours, the other to ferment out dryer than the fruity strain will.

Most likely you hit all the buttons for the yeast with pitching rate, pH, temp, no pitching stress, fresh healthy yeast etc etc and it hammered down as it should.

cheers

Thanks Tony. So basically I'm worried over nothing much :icon_cheers:

64'c is at the fair lower end creating more readily fermentable sugars? I take it you were aiming for a dry finish?... lol... you'll get that!!

:icon_cheers:

That said, our swap brew was 1065 and mine finished out at 1008 so is gunna whack a fair punch... and that was a 90 min mash at 66'c I think from memory..

Yob

Yeah mate, I was after a dryer finish and to experience the difference 2C in the mash would make.

No, CB Ale Yeast is a yeast that Craftbrewer has that is very similar to US05.

cheers

Thanks Tony. So basically I'm worried over nothing much :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back