Huge gravity difference on day 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kosmonaft

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wanted to make some Topical Pale Ale. For that purpose I got the Coopers 1.7kg Pale Ale and steeped 40g of Azacca Hops.
Unfortunately when I mixed everything into the Coopers Fermenter and filled to 23l I realised that the temperature is too high (it was 30degrees).
However I decided to continue and put the yeast (from the Pale Ale tin).
The original gravity was 1032.

On the next day (after 16h) the foam (krausen) on the top didn't looked right to me (This isn't my first attempt to brew my own beer).
It was only about 0.5-1cm and was extremely thick. The fermentation looked fine as there were floating (drowning) parts.

Today is day 2 (48h later) and there isn't any krausen.
I decided to measure the gravity and it came out 1006.
This doesn't seem correct and wondering if by mistake I didn't killed the yeast with the 30degrees water.

The diferrence between the original gravity and the current one is huge.
Any ideas if I killed the yeast and if there is sense to keep it in the fermenter?
Can I safe it somehow?

You haven't killed it, you've given it a huge legs up!
Your yeast is happy as a pig in mud at that temperature.
You are best to control your ale fermentation to about 18 to 20ºC for best results. Plenty of threads on here about how to do that.

You haven't killed it, you've given it a huge legs up!
Your yeast is happy as a pig in mud at that temperature.
You are best to control your ale fermentation to about 18 to 20ºC for best results. Plenty of threads on here about how to do that.

The temperature now is 24 degrees. I reckon the hydrometer is broken.
On the way measure it( and it came out 1006) the hydrometer fall on the ground.
It's the plastic one from Coopers kit. I will try to get another one.

The reason to control the temperature is that your beer will taste and smell better if you brew at the right temperature.
Yeast will work faster hotter, not better. The one thing in your favour is that Coopers choose a very temperature tolerant yeast so you are more likely to get away with it wilt their yeast than most others.
Mark

Thanks guys. I tested the hydrometer and seems it's working.

Still can't understand why the gravity fall from 1032 to 1006 in just 48h.

Does it mean that it will continue falling?

Back