Huge batch pitfalls?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rizrah

Reaction score
So I've been doing a few BIAB all grain batches and just got my hands on a cheeky peak 98 L pot, I am wanting to do some large batches, around about 80-90L in size.

I've been using the brewers friend calculator for my last 15 or so brews, no complaints.

Im wanting to do a smash galaxy aus pale ale ans im Wondering if there are any large batch pitfalls I'm likely to come across?

Damn heavy grain bag, for one. Consider two separate BIAB bags if you want to split the load in two

Out of interest.. are you brewing for your own supply and expect this batch to supply you for months? If so, you'd better hope you like the end product. Maybe consider a pilot batch first. One keg of unsatisfactory beer is bad enough, let alone five :D

The grain bag is going to weigh a ton. Also you may want to employ some sort of sparge for a batch that big. You will want to get that hoist up too! I assume you are gong to high gravity brew and dilute post boil? If so assume a lower efficiency.

Not only is the grain bag just going to be hard to lift you're going to want a heck of a bag...

90L batches in a 98L pot? Think you might be underestimating how much head space you'll have / need, I have one of these pots they're 500x500mm. I do about a 65L boil for my 50L batches (50L in fermenter), the MAX that I would push my pot to would be 65-70L with an ~85L boil. Even then I would be watching that thing like a hawk...

At 500x500mm, every cm upwards is 2 litres, so 10L head space translates to only 5cm

If you do manage to pull this all off, your next issue is the fermenter, you'll either need a massive one or multiple ones. I have a 60L which takes 50L no probs, but do you think I wanna go lifting that on my own? Nah... Once the liquid's in it, it stays there... It gets pumped from my kettle to the ferm fridge and isn't disturbed.

So I've been doing a few BIAB all grain batches and just got my hands on a cheeky peak 98 L pot, I am wanting to do some large batches, around about 80-90L in size.

I've been using the brewers friend calculator for my last 15 or so brews, no complaints.

Im wanting to do a smash galaxy aus pale ale ans im Wondering if there are any large batch pitfalls I'm likely to come across?
I do biab double batches 45-50 l finished if I do a 90 min boil the required water full volume is any where from 60- 70 l plus the 10-12 kg grain is about all a 100l kettle will handle without risking boil over
I had a 70 l pot that wasn't big enough for doubles ditched it

I do biab double batches 45-50 l finished if I do a 90 min boil the required water full volume is any where from 60- 70 l plus the 10-12 kg grain is about all a 100l kettle will handle without risking boil over

Those numbers confuse me.. yesterday I did a 50L batch with a 70L kettle, but watched the boil vigilantly to be sure a boilover didn't occur. At one stage it flared up and I adjusted the burner to a lower setting, and the boil was just right after that.
IMO an 80L pot is just right for a 50L batch, but keen to hear other opinions

So I was thinking about 80L water for mash, calcs say it will fit in the pot. Then after the mashout it should be down to around 60L, doing about a 30L batch sparge, which I would add back in as evaporation takes some out.

Yes I have a hoist for the grain bag, which will be lining a large 19L colander to drain, before the batch sparge.

Just hoping my 4 ring burner has enough grunt to boil such a large volume. I think it's a medium pressure regulator, would I need a high pressure one?

You're going to add water throughout the boil? That will put extra demand on your burner. Not sure whether it'll be sufficient, but I'm leaning toward the negatory

I do 120L to 150L batches using a 3v herms set up 100hlt, 130L mash and 170L kettle. 150 is pretty much the limit for the 170L kettle.

Main pitfall is everything takes longer because of volume but having seven cubes at the end of the brew makes up for it.

Using an over the side element will help with getting to boil.

Im with Gabba. I can do 45-50lt batch of higher gravity with a 98lt pot and biab but its reaching the limits. I got a cheap ebay 50lt pot for a malt pipe that i will hopefully try this weekend. Another possible option is to maybe do a double/tripple mash. It's in a pretty recent episode of Brew Strong. You split the grain bill in half and use the wort from the first half as the mash water for the 2nd mash.

Those numbers confuse me.. yesterday I did a 50L batch with a 70L kettle, but watched the boil vigilantly to be sure a boilover didn't occur. At one stage it flared up and I adjusted the burner to a lower setting, and the boil was just right after that.
I factor in 14% boiloff and do a 90 min vigorous boil that I only have watch closely for the first 5 mins so I can toddle off and do other exciting things like mowing lawn etc .
50 l bock recently required 81 l of water for the 16.5 kg of grain it wont fit in a 100l pot so I mash in 65 l of water and added the extra after draining bag

Square cube law. The dimensions of the pot don't really increase that much while the volume does significantly.

On that same note however you can get more in it, naturally, but the head space you'll want will be around about the same.

I use an 80 litre pot and my batches ( into the fermenter) are 50-55L, that's about as far as I'm willing to push my luck and I have been close to boil overs, was actually thinking about a 90L pot for the same results!

I use an 80 litre pot and my batches ( into the fermenter) are 50-55L, that's about as far as I'm willing to push my luck and I have been close to boil overs, was actually thinking about a 90L pot for the same results!

Go 100, you know you want to

I find a problem is during a vigorous whirlpool some can flow over the edge when doing max size batches.

I find a problem is during a vigorous whirlpool some can flow over the edge when doing max size batches.
I hadn't thought of this, although I only use a little brown pump for whirlpooling in my 82L pot and have yet to do a >60L batch. Which pump are you using?

Back