Hub - Xmas In July 2010 Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22. Off'y - Dunkleweizen, Bottled 15/7/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Medium sized head that lasted well and laced the glass.
Slightly hazy brown with a hint of red.
Banana and bread on nose
Banana in the initial taste but fades to an almost metallic astringency as the mouthful ends.
Not unpleasant but leaves the mouth very dry.
Medium full body
It could be my tired tastebuds and brain, it's been a long long week. It might have been clovelike flavours.
I'd be interested to know what others think.
Thanks Off'y for a beer I've enjoyed and has made me think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24. David Jenkins - Old Ale
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, Bad note taking for this one so it's in note form
Thin head with dark copper body
Quite hazy
Phenollics dominate the aroma.
Very astringent
A hint of liquorice and spices
Very dry finish
Alcohol warming felt
Quite a different beer
Thanks David

P.S. What was the estimated ABV?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. Max - Laste minute APA OG ~ 1.062 FG 1.010 Bottled 19/07/10 (leave at least 3 weeks)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another from the same night so notes were terrible.
Poured a clear golden colour
Head didn't last too long ( might have been my glass )
Citrus hoppiness and peach in the taste
Medium-full body
Quite a bitter finish
Alcohol very well hidden
Nice drop Thanks Max!!

1. Schooey IIPA

Poured with out any head and is essentially flat. Yellow gold colour with slight haze.

American hops and sweet malt aroma with subdued fruitiness. Medium body with a long clean bitterness.

Tony, I really enjoyed this beer. You have done a great job of crafting the maltiness needed to support the firm bitterness. But I would not call it an IIpa - it is really in the IPA territory. To be an Imperial IPA it needs a massive hop nose and bitterness, with intense maltiness.

BTW, you could lose the label as the beer doesn't need it. It is a slippery slope when you stray into social unpleasantness. What's next - pack rape Pilsner or extortion Amber ?

;-)

Goatherders Swartz

Scott, I must appologise that yours was the first beer that I cracked after the swap and it didn't disappoint. Can't remember any problems so I can only say that your placing at the recent State comp was well deserved.

Well done,

Dave

9 Geoff Dubbel - "a good beer to practice judging on" (OK I'll try don't really know if I can say anything that you don't already know, but I'll have a go).

Deep mahogany in colour, persistent off-white head that stays throughout the beer, medium carbonation.

Aroma got lots of complex aromas which, among other things, were malty, phenolic and faintly banana-like (as the beer warmed up it became just fruity without the banana standing out so much).

Taste nice, strong malty flavour (munich) with some alcohol and some banana coming through in the finish. Nice bit of bitterness there for some balance but finishes on the malty side. As the beer warmed up I got some more flavours which were a bit like raisins. Nice... :p

Overall impression I really enjoyed this, it is quite a complex beer. Complex malty flavours with (banana-like) fruity and phenolic esters. For the life of me I can't pick any faults perhaps the phenolic character carries through a bit much??

Loved it Thanks Geoff.

...think I'll try this yeast in a witbier.

2. Loftboy - 'Call me Amber' (American Amber Ale. OG 1.050, US-05)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My drinking companion and I both commented on what a nice colour this one was - a lovely reddy-brown.
Aroma of some tropical fruits and a hit of malt.
Flavour is reminiscent of a good, hoppy APA with extra malty notes. It steers clear of being too 'nutty' which is often one of my criticisms of this style.
Overall a very good beer - thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock (by request), O.G. ~1.072 (just to out-do Schooey ) W3638 yeast
------------------------------------------------------------------
Poured a rich mahogany with a thin-medium off-white head that lasted well into the beer.
Bready malt aroma with hints of banana lurking to the back.
Darks fruits (plums mainly) dominate the flavour with subdued bread and banana to balance it out
Full bodied and creamy smooth (probably helped by the low bitterness) before finishing with a slight zap on the tongue from the carbonation.
Alcohol very well hidden.
Thomas judged the German Wheat ad Rye class the other weekend. I'm sure he'd have loved it if you entered :p
Oh I want another bottle of this one!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------
5. Ken - English Pale Ale (Wyeast 1026 - British Cask Ale)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Poured thick craeamy head that clung to the side of the glass nicely
Golden copper colour with a little chill haze
A clean aroma with a little nuttiness on the nose. Very restrained though.
Medium bitterness with some malty biscuit flavours providing a counterpoint.
A lovely dry finish making it a great session beer.
Thanks for a great job Ken

24. David Jenkins Old Ale.
After a long day of working I cracked this beer, I really enjoyed it, a perfect day for a dark beer. Thanks David for sharing.

Got a bit lazy and forgot to post some previous tastings...

Beer: Schooey Bitch Slap IPA
Date: 16th September 10
Details: 750mL bottle gold cap 1 w/ great label, 7.2%
Sampling Notes:
Served in a pint glass.

Pours a copper-amber body of uniform haze. Small tight off-white head forms atop and hangs around contently.

Smack in the face of hops on the nose; rockmelon, honeydew, mandarin, ripe tropical fruit with a very distinct green grassy herbaceousness almost like lemon grass. Quite clean overall, malt aromas hard to detect.

Full bodied, but certainly not overdone, texture is somewhat slick, undoubtedly resiny with a welcome subdued carbonation of moderate intensity.

Plenty more hops on the body; unripe melons this time, resinous pine sap, has that passionfruit/guava thing going on would be very interested to know what hops went in this? Some honey and light caramel maltiness in there providing a touch of sweetness. Bitterness is surprisingly kept well restrained on a squeaky clean finish.

Certainly a hoppy beer, but I certainly dont feel like a victim of domestic violence by the end, like the label alludes to. Instead, I find this beer tremendously drinkable with a great flavour. Cheers Tony worth the wait ;-)

Beer: Geoff Donny Dubbel and the Temporary Esters
Date: 16th September 10
Details: 750mL bottle gold cap 9 7.6%, T-58
Sampling Notes:
Served in a pint glass.

Deep bronze body in the glass. Light tan head slowly dissipates.

Good rich, pungent aroma; molasses, black plum, black berry, raisin, date, vanilla and pepper, and clove spice.

Carbonation is quite low seemingly accentuating the viscosity and length of this beer. Also does a great job of masking that substantial abv!

Lovely rich palate packed full of dark fruits, caramelised malts, chocolate, spice, liquorice and dried fruit. Long finish, hint of bitterness; very nice!

Seriously tasty stuff! Rich and complex, I reckon this rivals the likes of Chimay Red, and re-affirms my confidence in T-58 yeast for Belgian ales. Top notch, cheers Geoff!

Beer: Offy - Dunkelweizen
Date: 11th October 2010
Details: 750mL bottle, gold cap 22
Sampling Notes:
Served in a pint glass.

Presents an attractive bronze body with decent clarity. An inch of thick white head holds steady.

Pleasant aroma of ripe banana, sultana, toffee, chocolate and clove spice.

Lovely creamy mouthfeel, carbonation is spot on, wheat dries out the palate but theres enough malt sweetness to balance.

Body is sweet upfront; plenty of toffee and nutty malt, with banana bread, nutmeg, clove, sultana and tawny port undertones. Low bitterness, hint of herbal hop on the finish.

Enjoyable dark wheat beer. Well made, cheers Offy!

Beer: Les the Weizguy - Weizenbock
Date: 12th October 2010
Details: 750mL bottle 3 1.072, Wyeast 3638
Sampling Notes:
Served in a pint glass.

Pours an amber body of decent clarity. Inch of tight white foam persists.

Rich aroma packed with dense bread, molasses, dried fig and clove.

Beautiful silkiness to the texture, accentuated by the low carbonation and sheer viscosity of the beerwhich I suppose alludes to alcohol, but its well hidden!

Luscious palate with lots of dark fruit esters and Christmas cake-like spices, with supporting Muscat undertones and a touch of boozy warmth on the finish.

Devilishly good beer! Im a huge fan of the style, and thusly, have tried my fair share, and this certainly rates up there. Many thanks Les for a terrific beer to end a terrific lot of case swap beers!

Back