Howtobrew Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am starting to collect gear to make the step up to AG. I have been reading John Palmer's book online, and am wondering how many brewers actually have bought the hard copy version????

Would you consider it a MUST to have a hard copy version, or is the online version ok???? (The kids are asking me what I want for father's day, so I'm trying to think of ideas, and unfortunately, a March Pump is a little pricey for them :( )

Cheers,
Jase

i would never waist my money on that book, it is ok, and some good info, but like most HB books, its just repeting info thats in the other 30 odd how to brew books availble

I would be asking for a copy of Ray Daniels "desining great beers"

Palmer's book is a great reference. I disagree with Ozbrewer about it being a waist of money. A lot of the other how to books contain a lot of misinformation, but Palmer is pretty well spot on. Now obviously Palmer is only repeating what he has learnt, but it's the way he simply explains the processes, the way he brings the relevant information together and the fact that he made it available free online that is his big contribution to homebrewing.

Having said all of this I wouldn't buy a hard copy simply because it is available free online.

I'll second Ozbrewers opinion that Ray Daniel's book "Designing Great Beers" is well worth the money. However this is not so much a how to book about the processes of mashing. It assumes that you already understand a lot of this and instead is a good reference book for the different styles of beer and a good starting point for learning how to formulate you own recipes.

Cheers
MAH

I would recommend buying the hardcover copy.
Thats my preference though as I hate reading and flicking/clicking through a book on screen.

It's got a lot of great info.

As MAH and ozbrewer said earlier, "Designing Great Beers" is also another book worth investing in.

I gought the hard copy and it's great to have around. Much more comfortable sometimes chilling on the lounge than sitting in front of a computer.....

Depends on where you are in your brewing learning, how web orientated your household is and what other brewing books you have.

If you are on ADSL and have a computer on all the time, maybe the online version will do. Being able to pick a hard copy up and browse through it for different ideas would be a good reason to buy it.

If you only have one brew book, John Palmer's book would be on top of the stack.

Greg Daniels "Designing Great Beers" is an excellent book, but not for the novice.

"Home Brewing, the CAMRA Guide" by Graham Wheeler is an excellent beginners book and covers alot of ground.

Do a search on books, there was a excellent thread about 6 months ago.

My 2c...

I say buy the hard copy. I bought mine about 18 months-2 years ago and it has gotten lots of use. Designing Great Beers and Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer are two other books I have and while they are both excellent, like everyone else is saying they assume more knowledge/experience than Palmer. Palmer explains things very clearly and covers such a broad range of brewing questions form kits to water chemistry it is a fantastic resource. Having it in book form makes it more easily accessible, and hey, I was happy to contribute my $35 to the Palmer fortune for the amount of help he's given me over the years.

Shawn.

Gough said:
My 2c...

I say buy the hard copy. I bought mine about 18 months-2 years ago and it has gotten lots of use. Designing Great Beers and Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer are two other books I have and while they are both excellent, like everyone else is saying they assume more knowledge/experience than Palmer. Palmer explains things very clearly and covers such a broad range of brewing questions form kits to water chemistry it is a fantastic resource. Having it in book form makes it more easily accessible, and hey, I was happy to contribute my $35 to the Palmer fortune for the amount of help he's given me over the years.

Shawn.
[post="72305"][/post]​

And 2c well spent too. it's a good book for what it is designed for, giving people a basis in home brewing. I have a hard copy that sits with Noonans Brewing Lager Beer. and I refer to them both constantly.

cheers
Andrew

Hey Guys.

We're all forgetting the highly-groovy Charlie P. and his lusty Brew Wench. They come from the land where HSA abounds. :lol:

His book is probably a little antiquated these days. Still a pretty good, helpful read though.

Warren -

Top book and well worth the purchase. I dont have it yet. Just refer to it online and have borrowed from the library a couple of times.
Its better kicking back in a comfy chair with a hard copy that reading it online.

johnno

That was before he became a real brewer, see, he has no beard :p .
Andrew

PS I have both his books, still refer to them.

Yep, still got both mine too Andrew.

Wort stains on the pages from some of my earlier partial-mash efforts. Can't remember what the beers were though. Probably stouts judging by the colour of the stains. :blink:

Warren -

I have only been brewing for about 9 months and All Grain for the last three months or so of that. I was very happy with John Palmers online book, but I decided to buy a hard copy as I love to read a few lines at night before going to bed. That hard copy is at my bed side all the time and although I have read it many times over since, I still like to refresh my memory and read something every night. I have read some other books but I like John Palmers style. Because I have read so many other recommendations for Ray Daniels Book of "Designing Great Beers", I will try to get a copy of that next.

Whilst I beleive that the Internet is a great source for obtaining information on all current methods of brewing, the equipment, malts and yeasts and the mirried different ways brewers have their setup, a good book is an invaluable resource that you can refer to all the time when not in front of the computer.

:chug:
PeterS....

Yep, John Palmer's book is one I pick up every day or so and read a little from - probably because it's usually next to the bed or to the dunny! That is the kind of book it is - you can read it from front cover to back or just flip it open at the relevant spot when you have a question. Brewing Lager Beer was a little too technical for me at this stage of my AG brewing experience - but I still flick it open to get info when I am trying to work something out, a good book also. Designing Great Beer is a great book for that reason, it gives you insight in to all the beer styles etc. It also has pretty accessible information regarding the process of brewing.

My view is you cant really have too many books although it is a waist if you dont read them. I still thumb through my copy of Complete Joy of Homebrewing - just noticed his on his third edition!! I might go to the homebrew shop and see what else he has to say!

I am sure you have been to the two links below but I thought I would post them anyway.

http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?catego...eyword=&x=1&y=1

http://www.beerbooks.com/cgi/ps4.cgi?ACTIO...ER_ID=441627534

You haven't fully enjoyed Charlie P until you've seen him in full flight on his Complete Joy of Homebrewing INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO (thank you Ebay!!)

VERY entertaining :beerbang:

Jez

Back