Howdy .. I'm want to add a cascade hopes at day 5 of the fermentin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robrock

Reaction score
Questions are do I prepare (ie tea bag as usual) and then simply remove lid pour it in and reseal ? Do I stir it through ? Or any other things I should or should not be doing ? ... Many thanks

Some good info on dry hopping here as well.

Cheers

technobabble66 said:
Just found & read this. Thought it is applicable here.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf?sequence=1

(first page is blank)

It's waay too long to read the whole thing, but there's a great summary of hop compounds affecting aroma/flavour on pg4-16, plus some stuff right at the end in the Conclusion (plus some other tidbits in the Discussions).
In particular reference to this, page 16 talks about the polyphenols in the hops. They're water soluble, so easily extracted (think compounds in tea leaves); but contribute both positive & negative elements to taste/aroma. They seem to be the main contributors to harshness & astringency (aside from poorly balanced IBU's, i assume!).

I think it's implied in the experimental results that for dry hopping, pellets achieve the best extraction however everything is extracted, including the polyphenols. So flowers/plugs might be the better dry hopping material to reduce potential harshness (?). Also, i think the less processed material has a better yield of geraniol (floral & ester aromas ?).

So it may come down to the variance of amounts & types of polyphenols in a given hop in a given year as to how harsh it'll be. Since i don't think this info is reported by producers, i guess we're back to anecdotal evidence as to what's harsh or not (further complicated by individual variance in detecting different polyphenol compounds).

Haha ... so maybe i added nothing to the discussion really.

Nothing to see here. Carry on :p

If they are pellets I just take the lid(glad wrap) off sprinkle the pellets in, put the lid back on and walk away. What your usual method for adding the tea bags, I have never used one.

Depending on which hops boiling mug of water put in bag sit 5 mins lift squeeze then put back in for another 5 mins squeeze out add the water part to blend then when when finished adding cold water to blend, 23 litres in fermenter put bag in ... Just have never added one 5 days later only at initial mixing so main part of original question was or is do the same thing ? And do I stir it in or just tip in and seal again .. Thanks for your answers so far

Cheers Bradsbrew, that is an interesting study to read through.

You can just tip straight in - no need to stir. The rest of your ferment will do that for you.

Rich

Latest posts

Back