How would you fix this?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi all

I just got my feedback sheets from Beerfest for the recipe below. I would be interested to know what should be tweaked to take into account the judges feedback

From my own assessment I will drop the Licorice and Orange to start with - it has added nothing discernable to the beer. (to be honest it was a bit of a folly anyway)

Judges comments

• Needs something to add body
  • Lifeless/thin - neeed to add dextrins or lactose
  • No Creaminess to the mouthfeel
  • No real hop contribution to flavour
Scores were 30,31 and 36 - so not necessarily a bad beer, but there is definitely there is room to improve it.

Your advice on how to improve this recipe next time would be greatly appreciated

Licorice Orange Stout (Sweet Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.065 (�P): 15.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (�P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.39 %
Colour (SRM): 36.4 (EBC): 71.7
Bitterness (IBU): 35.9 (Average)

2.5kg 52.3% Maris Otter Malt
.5kg 10.46% Flaked Oats
.5kg 10.46% Melanoidin
.5kg 10.46% Vienna
.3kg 6.28% Special Roast
.2kg 4.18% Black Malt
.18kg 3.77% Chocolate
.1kg 2.09% Carared

8g 0.4 g/L Columbus (12.1% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
8g 0.4 g/L Nugget (13% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
5g 0.3 g/L Columbus (12.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
5g 0.3 g/L Nugget (13% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
5g 0.3 g/L Columbus (12.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
5g 0.3 g/L Nugget (13% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

15g 0.8 g/L Licorice Root @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
15g 0.8 g/L Orange Peel @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
15g 0.3 g/L Orange Peel @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
8g 0.2 g/L Licorice Root @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67�C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18�C with Danstar Windsor

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hop contribution to flavour comment will simply be an observation as stylistically that is ok.
I think I remember that beer and my main suggestion would be incorporating a dextrinous rest - say 71-72 for 10 minutes before mashout.
Could chuck a shade more crystal and/or some lactose at it (talking mainly in regards to style guidelines)

manticle said:
Hop contribution to flavour comment will simply be an observation as stylistically that is ok.
I think I remember that beer and my main suggestion would be incorporating a dextrinous rest - say 71-72 for 10 minutes before mashout.
Could chuck a shade more crystal and/or some lactose at it (talking mainly in regards to style guidelines)
Thanks - yes I beleive you were one of it's judges.

Excuse my ignorance about "dextrinous rest"

I BIAB so does this mean that at the end of the 60 minutes at 67degrees do I increase the heat and bring it to 71-72 before I take the bag out and start the boil?

What does this actually do?

Thanks

Exactly right process wise. It targets alpha-amylase which is responsible for longer chain sugars and should result in a fuller body. 67 favours alpha but 72 really targets it. Also a glycoprotein rest which encourages head formation and retention.
You could shorten your first rest by 10 or 20 minutes too.

I think I need to read up on "alpha-amalyse" and protien rests a bit more so I understand this stuff a bit better.

Thanks for the response - I really aprreciate your (and many others AHB) willingness to help out share your knowledge with the rest of us.

Remember to distinguish between protein rest and glyco-protein rest.

Stout and porter as a sweet stout.
I'd be using uk hops myself but the feedback suggests hop flavour contribution was insignificant.

Yeah, it was entered into the sweet stout category. It wasnt brewed with competing in mind, so I wasnt aiming for style (obviously with the licorice and orange).

I am a comp noob, but thought id enter just for the experience and sweet stout seemed close to what it indeed up being

Latest posts

Back