How Will This Doozy Turn Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could offer any ideas, suggestions or general comments on this one that I threw together on Saturday. Havent a clue how it'll turn out.

Ingredients:
1 x tin Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale
500gms Maltcraft Dark Crystal
500gms LDME
500gms Dextrose
250gms Dried Corn Syrup
Fuggles Hops (pellets)
Safale

Method:
1. Heated 4 litres of water with a 1/4 of the tin of the extract. Brought to boil and then added 20gms fuggles.
2. Gently boiled for 15 mins then added Crystal, LDME, Dextrose Dried Corn Syrup and 12 gms fuggles.
3. Gently boiled for 10 mins then added 12 gms fuggles for another 5 mins (total boil time: 30 mins)
4. Poured rest of tin into fermenter and sieved the pot of wort in as well (once cooled).
5. Topped up to 23 litres and added yeast.

Bubbling away happily on Sunday and smelling beautiful through air lock. Any comments welcome :blink:

Cheers
Steve

The corn syrup sounds like an interesting idea! I look forward to hearing your impressions on how it tastes.

i would leave the corn syrup out...
it will be a very strong and dark ale - very brown.
Will be very full bodied - what was teh OG?
It take it was S04 yeast?

Got to go to the gym so have to be quick. My thoughts would be to ease up on the crystal as if I remember rightly the royal oak amber is a sweetish brew anyway, that much crystal will probably be too much.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, JD

Too late GMK - I made it on Saturday.
The LDME, Dextrose and Corn Syrup comes pre-mixed in a bag from LHBS called "The Right Stuff". Have used it many times - with no dramas and great results. Forgot to take a reading :blink: and yes it was SO4. I thought it was going to be a big brown monster also - but looking at the colour through the fermenter walls I was quite surprised to see a nice amber/reddish colour. What about the hops weights? Would you have included another hop type as well as the fuggles? Would you recommend dry hopping with anything? I normally go 7 days primary, 7 days 2nday, bulk prime then bottle.
Cheers
Steve

made the amber before. one of the best kits ive made, really liked it.

my opinion would have been leave out the crystal, but if its in, no problem. it will be a pretty dark brew, but color isnt everything. hope it turns out well.
joe

Tried a stubby of this doozy last night. Only 2 weeks in the bottle and shaping up to be a beautiful drop. Bulk primed with 140gsm plain sugar. 6 days primary, 9 days secondary. Deep dark red in colour, beautiful thick white head, smooth as to taste, very mellow, not sweet at all, nice rich malty taste, great hoppy smell and taste. Very happy for a quick brew I just made up. I have done just the amber ale by itself many times...but this is sensational. :D
Cheers
Steve

Back