How Warm Is Too Warm For Bottle Conditioning?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSMill

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bottled an APA (brewed with 1056) that I have had cold conditioning for about 10 days. All the beer stuff is out in the shed which I'm guessing is too cold (Melbourne) for bottle conditioning at present. All my heat sources are tied up keeping a saison at 28 degrees.

So I'm planning to stick the APAs into the fridge with the saison. I know the consensus seems to be that temperature control for bottle conditioning of lesser concern than for the primary ferment, but is 28 degrees stretching the friendship, and is there any chance I will eff up a beer that tastes great out of the primary?

Hi all,

I have just bottled an APA (brewed with 1056) that I have had cold conditioning for about 10 days. All the beer stuff is out in the shed which I'm guessing is too cold (Melbourne) for bottle conditioning at present. All my heat sources are tied up keeping a saison at 28 degrees.

So I'm planning to stick the APAs into the fridge with the saison. I know the consensus seems to be that temperature control for bottle conditioning of lesser concern than for the primary ferment, but is 28 degrees stretching the friendship, and is there any chance I will eff up a beer that tastes great out of the primary?
Yep, bottle condition at the same temp as the ferment

Yep, bottle condition at the same temp as the ferment

+1 same temp as the ferment.

A while ago I made a very diacetyl Hobgoblin clone and was shattered :icon_vomit: . I bottled it and put it under the doona of the spare bed with the electric blanket of full for 3 days. I then stuck it in my lager fridge at 0.5*C for a fortnight. Don't know exactly what happened but it's now quite drinkable. Dry, fruity, a little bit roasty. About to give one to member Tony for some feedback, should be interesting.

yeah understood, normally I would condition at the fermentation temp (was 18C), but don't have that as an option, so just keen to know if 28C will be detrimental. Rob, your experience would probably suggest it should be ok.

You may find they carb up quickly at 28C. Up here in the tropics most of my beers are carbed within a week. Most of my Kits and Bits are not that good though I am not sure if its the temperature or just the brewer.

Latest posts

Back