How To Use A Keg System?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
So i have just invested in a keg system and have only figured out that i have no knowledge of how to use it. Anyone have a link? Re: how to clean sterilise and gas etc.

So far i have pulled down all the components of the keg for a total clean and soak. next step is to sterilise. Stuck now, do you have to pull the keg apart to sterilise every refill?

Whatwhat,

Google Search on here is your friend...heaps of threads on it.
Also there is a an excellent article in the Wiki section on here about "balancing" a keg set up and carbonation.

Same as Razz, quick soak in PBW to remove any crud, I then run it through my line and tap,flush with water, sanitize, fill and on the gas

Cheers

Thanks for the help i will check out those leads. Excuse my ignorance but what is PBW.

I am hoping this is the pink stain remover as this is what i am using at the moment.

Do a quick search on youtube a lot of handy vids on there.

Depending on where you are in brisbane, all the Brewers Choice shops do kegging demos fairly regularly as well, if you want to see it done in person and get the opportunity to ask lots of questions

The keg is a giant bottle so treat it like a bottle. Here's what I do.

Wash the crud out with three changes of water
Shake it well with an unscented napisan solution and leave it sit for a while
Wash out a couple of times with garden hose
Shake well with some Starsan solution (the no rinse stuff), drain well, and ready for kegging.

The dip tube is the main difference from the bottle. Normally I'd just pour some boiling water into the keg, seal up quickly, shake and CAREFULLY depress the beer out post with a screwdriver and get a fountain up through the dip tube.

Every now and again, unscrew the beer out post and pull out the dip tube and give it a better clean. There's a little brush on a rod that fits inside the dip tube for a perfect clean, I'll try and find out where to get one as I'm after one myself.

and CAREFULLY depress the beer out post with a screwdriver and get a fountain up through the dip tube.

A spare disconnect makes this really easy. Just make sure its pointed away from you when you push it on.

A spare disconnect makes this really easy. Just make sure its pointed away from you when you push it on.

Good idea, I've got a spare one that was part of a Bronco tap I destroyed <_<

I have a few feet of tubing on my "cleaning disconnect", just run it into the sink :)

I also use a gas disconnect to flush the gas post by simply inverting the keg, popping the disconnect on, then pulling it off. Pull the PRV too to let some cleaner/sanitizer run through

The keg is a giant bottle so treat it like a bottle. Here's what I do.

Wash the crud out with three changes of water
Shake it well with an unscented napisan solution and leave it sit for a while
Wash out a couple of times with garden hose
Shake well with some Starsan solution (the no rinse stuff), drain well, and ready for kegging.

The dip tube is the main difference from the bottle. Normally I'd just pour some boiling water into the keg, seal up quickly, shake and CAREFULLY depress the beer out post with a screwdriver and get a fountain up through the dip tube.

Every now and again, unscrew the beer out post and pull out the dip tube and give it a better clean. There's a little brush on a rod that fits inside the dip tube for a perfect clean, I'll try and find out where to get one as I'm after one myself.

Grphon Brewing sells them.

http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/ind...249cf5cffb4bc4b

1. put glass under tap.
2. pull handle.

here is an example.

pour.jpg

Your doing it wrong

1. Tell wife you need another beer
2. Continue to watch sports on TV whilst wife pours beer
3. Drink and enjoy your beer whilst watching sports
but then i'd have to paint my fridge white and move it into the kitchen. :D

Whatwhat one other thing I do once scrubbed (with a softish brush) and rinsed out with hot water is flush a jug of hot water through it by connecting to my font and gas in. Also helps to clean the beer line and font.

Thanks for all the help. Not overly stressing by the looks of things.

Bottles, never want to see another one of them!!!

Back