How to transform good wort into shit beer. Rehydrate pitch dried yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
The internet

........and some yeast manufacturers packaging ( as I am lead to believe )
I am asking you to provide these sources, so we can all learn, and to back up the claims you have made.

You don't science, do you...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Some people just rip the yeast open and sprinkle straight into the fermenter

Works just fine for them. Some have even won comps
1st prize "APA" 2016 and 3rd prize "APA" 2015 can't go too wrong!

I got a batch pack of US 05 off an Ebay vendor this summer. Now it could have sat in a stinking hot shed or waited in the sun to be loaded in a courier's van or whatever but this particular lot were all uncharacteristically weak. Brews that were dry pitched struggled to get going for days and latter lots that were rehydrated took ages to lather up. The next lot of US 05 that I got from a LHBS that were pulled from a fridge they all fired up like they should have no matter how they were pitched. Yep I tried to save a buck a packet of yeast for something that caused me my only slow or stalled ferments, some funky tastes (with temp control) plus one brew that got fed to the compost because it smelled and tasted very nasty. I just think that sometimes the damage may have been done to these fragile products BEFORE they even end up in our hands.

B

manticle said:
Depends on the comp. I got a first in a comp a few years back.
1 entrant in category.
Phew... that would be really awkward if you came last in that one.

Wait...

CmdrRyekr said:
I am asking you to provide these sources, so we can all learn, and to back up the claims you have made.

You don't science, do you...
I do do science.

From the fermentis website

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Gently
stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively
sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes,
then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I do do science.

From the fermentis website

Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes. Gently
stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively
sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes,
then mix the wort using aeration or by wort addition.
To me that reads like:

1) Best Practice is:

or

2) Alternatviely (ie if you cbf) you can :

Oh, and in the 2nd procedure it recommends waiting 30 mins after sprinkling then, aerating or adding wort to mix. And to pitch on wort above 20 degrees C. How many times is the advice to pitch yeast cooler than worm up or to pitch at 18 degrees (or fermentation temperature).

How many "sprinklers" aerate, sprinkle at 18 deg then just leave it to ferment?

Mattrox said:
. How many times is the advice to pitch yeast cooler than worm up or to pitch at 18 degrees (or fermentation temperature).
I dont know. Show me

And i dont think worms have much place in a fermenter

Mattrox said:
How many "sprinklers" aerate, sprinkle at 18 deg then just leave it to ferment?

Prior to using liquid yeasts, did this every time and enjoyed the ensuing ale'ish product. Just wondering whether you could also apply that same question to 'sprinkling'? Saw a few sprinklers at the last case swap.

madpierre06 said:
Prior to using liquid yeasts, did this every time and enjoyed the ensuing ale'ish product. Just wondering whether you could also apply that same question to 'sprinkling'? Saw a few sprinklers at the last case swap.
All I'm saying is the goal posts are shifting.

There are instructions about dry yeast from the manufacturer that one can reasonably assume is best practice.

Our resident pot stirrer is claiming that sprinkling is also best practice. But this is the alternative to the 1st option. On top of that the alternative includes sprinkling ABOVE 20 degrees and waiting 30 mins and then stirring the wort.

Now, I'm not saying you can't make good beer by just other methods. And I know lots of people make some really good beer. But this whole thing started as how best to handle dry yeast. One can really only say that the best way is to follow the manufacturer's directions.

Now I know Stu has probably forgotten more about brewing than I will ever learn. Actually I don't think his memory is bad at all. However, he's playing the semantics debate.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I dont know. Show me

And i dont think worms have much place in a fermenter
I might just use this post as a typical post regarding pitching yeast.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You want your pitching temp the same as your ferment temp
Given that your advice is not in line with the manufacturer's advice that you quoted in evidence that dry pitching can be best practice it seems a disingenuous contention.

A "I get good results doing this"...... Sure, everyone does things differently. But your recommendations are not what the manufacturer suggests.

Mattrox said:
All I'm saying is the goal posts are shifting.

There are instructions about dry yeast from the manufacturer that one can reasonably assume is best practice.

Our resident pot stirrer is claiming that sprinkling is also best practice. But this is the alternative to the 1st option. On top of that the alternative includes sprinkling ABOVE 20 degrees and waiting 30 mins and then stirring the wort.

Now, I'm not saying you can't make good beer by just other methods. And I know lots of people make some really good beer. But this whole thing started as how best to handle dry yeast. One can really only say that the best way is to follow the manufacturer's directions.

Now I know Stu has probably forgotten more about brewing than I will ever learn. Actually I don't think his memory is bad at all. However, he's playing the semantics debate.
And youve hit my practice on the head - if dry yeast says to sprinkle is fine, thats what i do. If it says to rehydrate, likwise.

If sprinkling was better than rehydrating, rehydrating would never be mentioned or invented. More effort to rehydrate, more chance of infection.

I believe rehydrating is better (based on reading, not side by side testing or anything), and I will always rehydrate.

I always just sprinkle dry yeast or direct pitch liquid yeast. If its a bigger beer i use more yeast. If i need a big pitch i will use some yeast cake. Its not best practice but it works for me and has never been the cause of infection. I have had a couple of infections over the years but they were from doing stupid shit.

Back