How To Take Care Of Your Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
yeah my cascade is about 2m tall and violently strangling everything in sight haha.

scomet

Reaction score
my cascade is about 2m tall and violently
Mine too but its probably only just stopped snowing in Nelson :-}
Dont let them dry out too much, feed regularly, and very poisonous to dogs BTW.
ps Loved Nelson Markets, Pics had a stall, I said loudly “I didn't know Pics came from NZ!?” The entire market seemed to shout “It doesn't it comes from Nelson”….

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
Has anyone here had good results from their fresh hops? Every brew I used mine in was terrible. I don't think I've got the timing right for picking them.

I'm not all that fussed though, I have them going up a trellis which shades the veggie patch and lawn from the West in summer, so it's a nice feature of the garden even if it is only used as ornamental.

Vic

Circle of life. I brew, I drink, I brew, etc..
Pro
Reaction score
Has anyone here had good results from their fresh hops? Every brew I used mine in was terrible. I don't think I've got the timing right for picking them.

I'm not all that fussed though, I have them going up a trellis which shades the veggie patch and lawn from the West in summer, so it's a nice feature of the garden even if it is only used as ornamental.
I grow Chinook and something similar to Cascade in NE Victoria High Country. Pick late April when they go brown. Used only in Whirlpool @ 80C for 30 minutes. Beer is sensational.

Hopasauraus

Reaction score
i have 6 rows of 10. Krakenup, cascade amd columbus.
The Krakenup went extremely well last year which is when i planted them from their roots
i had heaps and pick them when they are just strarting to get brown tinges on them, dry them on a rack in the shed for a few days and then vacuume bag them and store in the freezer.

TowelBoy2013

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to get a new oast as well. My current one is looking somewhat ratshit.

Latest posts