How To Store Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross said:
Darren said:
bindi said:
Ross said:
i use ziplock bags but keep them inside a 100% airtight plastic containers - With the double barrier, there isn't a trace of hop smell in my freezer... :)
[post="88205"][/post]​

I do this Ross and when I open the freezer I still smell hops :( , I will change to use glass as Justin says. ;)
[post="88262"][/post]​

Was my experience too. Now i keep them in the foils they are supplied in
[post="88286"][/post]​

I'd be getting a refund on your containers - coz they obviously ain't airtight ;) ...
[post="88381"][/post]​

Ross, I must admit I didn't buy special "airtight" containers. Just the usual tupperware from the cupboard in the kitchen.
Do you have a particular brand that you use?
I found that the foils the hops come in are very good at keeping the smell in. And they are free if you buy an unopened amount.

Darren said:
I'd be getting a refund on your containers - coz they obviously ain't airtight ;) ...
[post="88381"][/post]​

Ross, I must admit I didn't buy special "airtight" containers. Just the usual tupperware from the cupboard in the kitchen.
Do you have a particular brand that you use?
I found that the foils the hops come in are very good at keeping the smell in. And they are free if you buy an unopened amount.
[post="88514"][/post]​
[/quote]

Not sure of their name as I removed the stickers - Bought from Coles - They have a silicon seal round the lid & 4 locking flaps to hold the lid firm (the ones with 2 locking flaps don't remain airtight). They are guarenteed 100% airtight & so far I can't disagree - As I keep mine in fridge/freezer, a foil light barrier is a bit redundant, but the ones that came in foil, remain so inside the containers...

I'm pretty sure i would have the same as Ross, although i grabbed mine from a hospitality warehouse in crowsnest... same 4 flap design with a good quality blue silicon seal.
the brand i have is "Lock & Lock" and they cost about $3.50 for a size that hols probably 200g of hops. a 2 litre one cost me around a tenner.

Beers
KoNG

If you have a friendly Butcher, as opposed to going to the big supermarkets, you may well be in business.
Most Butcher shops these days have cryovac machines that suck the very last sniff of air out of the plastic bags before sealing. The bags are cheap and the method is simple.
This is the go!! Then wrap the bags in paper so the sharp 'icicles' don't pierce the plastic and into the freezer.
I am of the opinion that this method will store hops well over two years without any noticeble difference.

but seriously....I've been thinking of using a 3gal keg, putting in the hop bags, purging out the air with CO2 and popping the keg into the freezer.

any thoughts? :huh:

Lindsay Dive said:
If you have a friendly Butcher, as opposed to going to the big supermarkets, you may well be in business.
Most Butcher shops these days have cryovac machines that suck the very last sniff of air out of the plastic bags before sealing. The bags are cheap and the method is simple.
This is the go!! Then wrap the bags in paper so the sharp 'icicles' don't pierce the plastic and into the freezer.
I am of the opinion that this method will store hops well over two years without any noticeble difference.
[post="88727"][/post]​

all well & good - but sealing into small enough bags for brews days would seem to be stretching your luck a little with the local butcher...

Ross,
About the only thing Lindsay deals with in small quantities is servomyces.

Rgds,
Wad

devo said:
but seriously....I've been thinking of using a 3gal keg, putting in the hop bags, purging out the air with CO2 and popping the keg into the freezer.

any thoughts? :huh:
[post="88733"][/post]​

Only potential problem i can see is if you put a lot of different varieties of hops in the one keg they will pick-up aromas from the neighbouring package of hops (if they are in those snap-lock plastic bags). Best to store each variety in a different container.
cheers
Darren

Back