How To Store Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently put mine in snap-lock plastic bags, then put them in an air-tight container in the freezer. I have not noticed any noticable drop in quality while doing it this way. Having said that, I bought about 1.7kg a while back now which I am still only a fraction of the way through so that will be a good test!

I keep mine just the same as TD. Also have a heap of hops from the bulk buy a few months ago and so far they seem to be keeping well like this.

I was told that the danger with the freezer is any moisture will cause damage when frozen, so the fridge is also good, but no problems so far so I'm just being careful to keep them dry.

I put mine in small glass jars (the smaller the better-pesto jars etc) with good sealing lids. Put the hops in and then purge out all the air with my CO2 bottle and clamp the lid down tight. Then into the freezer they go. This is about as good as it can get unless you have access to a vacuum sealer and oxygen impermeable bags-which we have done also for our bulk hop buys. Just packaged up in 200g lots.

Cheers, Justin

P&K - do a search on "storage" or "glad bags" im sure there was something not too long ago that give you some ideas :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Just remember if you can smell the hops through the bag/container it is not air tight

Glass is more impermiable to air/oxygen than plastic. Most of those air tight bags are hardly that in my opinion. Sure they seal but your not really getting an air tight seal and you don't know the permeability properties of the plastic. Most plastics actually breathe quite readily I think. That's why hops are stored in vacuum packed foil bags.

Glass jar, metal lid with a plastic seal is probably as good as it will get for long term storage.

Up to you though. Just my opinion.

Cheers, Justin

I agree. zip lock bags will not be good enough. Try them though. If you can smell the hops whilst they are in the bag try something else. Glass is a good option

i use ziplock bags but keep them inside a 100% airtight plastic containers - With the double barrier, there isn't a trace of hop smell in my freezer... :)

I don't have any problems with storage. I use the hops in my brews.

PeterS....

I reckon one of these would work well. I currently use it to store my coffee beans. You have a pump-operated lever (shown) you pump back and forth and the air is drawn out of the container and seals the lid down tightly. :beerbang:

To release the seal just press the gold button. Dial on the top is a just a calendar of sorts. :D

Only way I know of to get one is to buy a packet of Vittoria Coffee Beans. Container comes as part of a promotional deal. IIRC I got it from Safeway. :unsure:

Warren -

DSC00639.JPG

DSC00640.JPG

Ross- that sounds like a good idea, I've got a few containers like that I could use for hop storage

Ross said:
i use ziplock bags but keep them inside a 100% airtight plastic containers - With the double barrier, there isn't a trace of hop smell in my freezer... :)
[post="88205"][/post]​

I do this Ross and when I open the freezer I still smell hops :( , I will change to use glass as Justin says. ;)

bindi said:
Ross said:
[post="88205"][/post]​

I do this Ross and when I open the freezer I still smell hops :( , I will change to use glass as Justin says. ;)
[post="88262"][/post]​

Was my experience too. Now i keep them in the foils they are supplied in

Be careful putting sealed glass jars in the freezer.
Ever wondered why frozen food doesnt come in glass packaging??
The air in your jars will decrease in volume when cooling down, the change in pressure can cause the glass to implode.
Im not meaning to negative here or anything, just a word of caution.
I use glass jars as well, i just put the jars in the freezer for an hour first to cool them down before putting the hops in.
Tim

Storing hops is yet another of the 101 uses for used s-26 baby formula tins.
For my very limited stock I actually use ziplock bags inside all metal tin's like the ones chinese biscuts (wing wa's) are supplied in. Good tight 'paint tin like' seal but square
Small unused empty paint tins are also a good option available at the hardware store.

Borret

Darren said:
bindi said:
Ross said:
[post="88205"][/post]​

[post="88262"][/post]​

Was my experience too. Now i keep them in the foils they are supplied in
[post="88286"][/post]​

I'd be getting a refund on your containers - coz they obviously ain't airtight ;) ...

Borret said:
Storing hops is yet another of the 101 uses for used s-26 baby formula tins.
For my very limited stock I actually use ziplock bags inside all metal tin's like the ones chinese biscuts (wing wa's) are supplied in. Good tight 'paint tin like' seal but square
Small unused empty paint tins are also a good option available at the hardware store.

Borret
[post="88302"][/post]​

Would the ESB cans be good for this use?

Same for the coffee tins you can get at the store?

Back