How to stop cider fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim12

Reaction score
Hi! I would really appreciate some ideas. I have three demijohns of cider going. I started in April this year. I thought the ferment had finally given up when I noticed for the last four weeks or so a slow but persistent rising of the the bubbles again and a slow but steady activity of the air lock. The cider is clear. so a week back I racked (again) and this time added one crushed Camden Tablet in each demijohn. Silence! wonderful I thought, then after one week, they are all off again! There is only 4cm of air between the juice and the bung so there can't be any air in there. they are in a cool place in the dark, say 17 degrees C most of the time, I don't really have a a colder place.

What would you do? Jim12

Pretty difficult. Campden or something like potassium sorbate may help slow fermentation but there’s no guarantee. Even kegging and refrigerating can still see slow, steady continued fermentation. Short of some kind of pasteurisation (can be done, has been done, not something I’ve tried or recommend), or following proper keeving methods, you are stuck with backsweetening dry cider or taking a risk with incomplete fermentation.

Using an airlock isn't a good way of knowing what is going on, dissolved co2 and temperature fluctuations give bubbles. Get your hydrometer out and get some real figures.

If it has been going since April, it should be done.

How will you be packaging the cider? Once in the final packages pasteurisation is pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back