How To Sterilise A Beer Filter Cartridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello,
I bought myself a beer filter a fair while ago and I am going to use it for the first time. The cartridge is a 1 micron absolute pleated filter, the ones with the purple/pink ends.
My question is, what is the best way to sterilise it? I thought I would soak it in Starsan and let it dry. Is that what most people do?
I would appreciate any thoughts from brewers experienced with sterilising beer filter cartridges.
Cheers
Spud

Hello,
I bought myself a beer filter a fair while ago and I am going to use it for the first time. The cartridge is a 1 micron absolute pleated filter, the ones with the purple/pink ends.
My question is, what is the best way to sterilise it? I thought I would soak it in Starsan and let it dry. Is that what most people do?
I would appreciate any thoughts from brewers experienced with sterilising beer filter cartridges.
Cheers
Spud

Hey Spud,

I use a 1 micron absolute and my schedule goes as such:

If just used - rinse the f*ckhole out of it then let soak in water over night.
Soak in nappysan - in filter housing makes it easy... sometimes for days.
Rinse well and soak in water - in filter housing makes it easy.. no longer than 24 hours.

In answer to your question, to sterilise I just roll in my tub of no-rinse, ensuring the filter takes some weight for lack of a better term, than let it drip dry for a couple of hours... then shake excess out, this is just before use. I usually use it at least once a week so never really break the above cycle.

IF I need to store it long term, do the above and once dripped and shaken dry, wrap well in glad wrap and store in the freezer.

I have never had a problem and my cartridge is going strong 1+ years in...

2c.

Cheers

Similar to Cocko's process here also.

After use, I rinse mine in warm water then soak for 24 - 48 hours in PBW or Napisan,

then rinse again in warm water.

Air dry then place back in my brewing crate in the shed. Keep away from dust etc till next use

Next use, I give it a quick rinse / 15min soak in no-rinse sanitiser then use.

Similar process to above here.

After use back flush by connecting gravity filter connection to hot water tap
Plunging up and down in hot water till the water runs reasonably clear
Soak in hot napisan overnight
Plunge again to rinse out as much as possible
Soak overnight in starsan (overnight is excessive... but easy just leave it there)
Empty and let it air dry till next use
Dunk in starsan solution before use
Purge filter cartridge and line with CO2 then commence filtering

Thanks for the replies gents, a good soaking and then sterilise with Starsan it will be.
Cheers
Spud

hi there, i did try using napisan but wasnt getting good results so i have been using plain old bleach.
straight away(ater rinse) youll see it rip out the oils from cartridge, dump then repeat and let soak overnight.
plenty of hot rinsing and another soak tap water. then fill with cold tap water in housing and put in fridge
til next use. i never leave my cartridge to dry out.

edit - to the other posters using napisan, does your cartridge come out bright white like new?

brilliant white with napisan... even better with PBW... same result but in less time

Latest posts

Back