How to put finings or hops into fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krz

Reaction score
I have a 64L SS Unitank like this
99258-5aa2269e6caaac0326fcfaf2bd3b3683.jpg

I want a way of adding hops or finings without opening up the top lid.

Any ideas how I can do it?

There is a sampling tap on the side, this is a possible entry point!
99259-4bb1c642bdeb95a40cd38b7cc94f420d.jpg

Hi krz. If you are able, you can add the additive to a PET bottle with carb cap and tube fitted into the bottle. Then you can pressurise the bottle with CO2 and force the additive into the racking port or dump port. You will need some fittings to do this. I got the idea from the Williams Warn website, they do this for adding finings. I want to try it on the brew I started on Sunday (in a unitank like yours)

Hi krz. If you are able, you can add the additive to a PET bottle with carb cap and tube fitted into the bottle. Then you can pressurise the bottle with CO2 and force the additive into the racking port or dump port. You will need some fittings to do this. I got the idea from the Williams Warn website, they do this for adding finings. I want to try it on the brew I started on Sunday (in a unitank like yours)

Thanks.

Ahh, this is the WW contraption. I guess you pressure it up higher than the pressure vessel and it should go straight in?
Very interesting.
99260-789b2406ab388bb98a799d4c43515788.jpg

Correct, they are 50ml or 150ml so maybe too small for hops but like I said I want to try a PET bottle, that should be okay to get a hop slurry into the port. Or just do it into the top and pray you get the top back on before the beer volcano!

What is your concern about opening the lid? It will be so much easier and won’t effect the end product if you’re careful.

Agree with brewno. Cant see any alternative regatding hops.

Not sure about the finnings never used them except my first brew. But with the hops bags and magnets might be an option. Just stick them to the top of the tank at the beginning and when it's time for dry hops remove the magnet to drop the hops in to the beer or slide them in

A possible way to do it is get a pressure relief valve with gauge attached with tri clamp fittings similar to below.
Beer-Fermenter-Pressure-Release-Device-SS304-Stainless.jpg

Use the port where the gauge was to make something up like this, what I use on the cubes for dry hoping / clearing agent. You would have to use a s/steel ball vale/ butterfly valve so it looks the goods and fit a s/steel hop dropper or plastic.
034.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure about the finnings never used them except my first brew. But with the hops bags and magnets might be an option. Just stick them to the top of the tank at the beginning and when it's time for dry hops remove the magnet to drop the hops in to the beer or slide them in
Top idea that Brewgasm. I'll try it out.

What is your concern about opening the lid? It will be so much easier and won’t effect the end product if you’re careful.
Generally I ferment under pressure, and then I transfer to kegs closed.
When the Fermenter is under pressure and the end of the ferment, then I'd have to let the pressure out to insert the finings/hops etc..
I'd just rather not open it.
That said, if there no easy option, I guess I will have to.

I like this magnet idea, less hassle for me.
Maybe the finings (Gelatin) could be placed in a teabag or a disolveable bag.

Easy option is to dry hop earlier. If you do it more than a few points before FG then it won't impact carbonation.

I rarely add hops after yeast pitch these days to avoid oxidising my beer & keep the fermentation as simple as possible.

Edit: I never add finings to beer so I can't help with that.

Easy option is to dry hop earlier. If you do it more than a few points before FG then it won't impact carbonation.

I rarely add hops after yeast pitch these days to avoid oxidising my beer & keep the fermentation as simple as possible.

Edit: I never add finings to beer so I can't help with that.
I generally don't add hops to the fermentor and I am not a fan of opening the fermentor or taking samples during fermentation. Not saying that there is anything wrong with those actions it's just what I do.

I do like to dry hop in the using hop balls. I just put the dose of hops in the ball attach to the the lid seal and purge the oxygen from the keg and rack down the dip tube. 3 or 4 days later I carefully remove the ball.

Just a question about using magnets on stainless steel. My magnet doesn't work on the fermenter, on it's own. Will it work, in tandem, with another magnet inside the fermenter?

Just a question about using magnets on stainless steel. My magnet doesn't work on the fermenter, on it's own. Will it work, in tandem, with another magnet inside the fermenter?
Unless you have magnetic hops.:) Yes, that's how it is done. One sanitised magnet in the hop bag one on the outside of the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back