How to pronounce the science of brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crouch

Reaction score
Okay, so the more I've been reading (and thinking about doing some study on the science of brewing) one thing I realised is that I have no idea how to pronounce 'sciency' sounding words ... que, google 'how to pronounce' search

Came across this site (no doubt there are hundreds of others) but thought it was useful > http://www.howjsay.com

Combine that with a dictionary and you can find some amazing words!

How about this one ....
"Acetabuliferious"

Meaning:
(adj.) Furnished with fleshy cups for adhering to bodies, as cuttlefish, etc.

Gotta find a way to incorporate that into a sentence during the next week!

Dicetyl was a nice one - it seems most people say die-a-set-al ... according to howjsay its pronounced die-a-see-tal

phenylalkylamines

phenylethanolamine

ecclesiastically

zeugobranchiata

All those years at uni to become a Scientist when 99% of your learning is how to create bullshit words that the common man will go "WTF did you say"?

Crouch said:
Diacetyl was a nice one - it seems most people say die-a-set-al ... according to howjsay its pronounced die-a-see-tal
If you're a Yank!

Charlie bamforth pronounces it 'di-a- si-teel'.
Brit living and working in seppo land.

Crouch said:
Dicetyl was a nice one - it seems most people say die-a-set-al ... according to howjsay its pronounced die-a-see-tal
Think you'll find most people pronounce it 'sssspptttt...eeerrrgggghhh....**** that tastes like shit'

One of the things I have learnt in my many years of uni is that each academic likes to make up their own pronunciation. In my time as a scientist I have heard pronunciation bordering on the absurd for the most mundane of words.

My advice is to not give a shite any more. I find that works well.

See-arn-teest.
Taast-toob
Bon-sarn boor-noor
Kar-mee-kool.
Kaaa-boon da-hoox-aade

Ironic that pronunciation is one of the most commonly mispronounced words in the English language

manticle said:
See-arn-teest.
Taast-toob
Bon-sarn boor-noor
Kar-mee-kool.
Kaaa-boon da-hoox-aade
I can't get the third one !

Blind Dog said:
I'm either pissed or that's the 5th one
It helps if your Indian and pronounce them with an Indian accent :)

Indian fucked a norwegian and tried to teach a welshman how to speak english with a dutch accent.
@ blind dog - I'm still trying to see the point of the OP.

manticle said:
... I'm still trying to see the point of the OP.
Would have thought it was pretty clear. Found a site that I thought was helpful and thought I'd share it.

manticle said:
Indian fucked a norwegian and tried to teach a welshman how to speak english with a dutch accent.
@ blind dog - I'm still trying to see the point of the OP.
Don't mind me. My brain lives in a jar by the side of the bed so I'm stuck with spouting vacuous nonsense

Back