How To Make An Orange Tasting Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino_rizy

Reaction score
Hey i want to make an orange tasting beer??? iam using a coopers kit cheers for any help on good replies

Best result I've had is using dried orange peel from the curacao (sp?) orange. I get mine from G&G. You can use the rind of oranges as well, just make sure you don't get any of the pith, as apparently it's quite bitter & foul.

Brew yourself a light flavoured beer of sorts and add the Tripel Sec essence thats used to make liquers at bottling/kegging. I did this with a brown ale and added half a bottle (25ml) of Hazelnut extract to the keg. :icon_drool2:

Brew yourself a light flavoured beer of sorts and add the Tripel Sec essence thats used to make liquers at bottling/kegging. I did this with a brown ale and added half a bottle (25ml) of Hazelnut extract to the keg. :icon_drool2:

Orange is an intriguing idea. Triple Sec essence sounds like the way to go.

I'm not sure if this is what your are after but there are commercially brewed wheat beers with orange peel and coriander. Grand Ridge Brewery have one I believe, and I'm sure there are other breweries too.

Orange is an intriguing idea. Triple Sec essence sounds like the way to go.

Maybe add some cointreau boiled down to a syrup? although this would be an expensive investment but beautiful bitter orange flavours! :icon_drool2:

I know I may be in danger of slightly hijacking here, so my apologies. I've been tempted to use liqueur flavourings in brews before but there are those that advise heavily against it. Is there any essences that one should avoid or will all work fairly well?

I know I may be in danger of slightly hijacking here, so my apologies. I've been tempted to use liqueur flavourings in brews before but there are those that advise heavily against it. Is there any essences that one should avoid or will all work fairly well?

Who advises against it and why? Trial it on a glass of beer and scale it up. Some can taste 'fake' and i can concur my hazelnut was a little strange for the 1st week but once it mingled and mellowed it was awesome.

Good idea using the essences, might give the hazelnut a go in a porter

Who advises against it and why? Trial it on a glass of beer and scale it up. Some can taste 'fake' and i can concur my hazelnut was a little strange for the 1st week but once it mingled and mellowed it was awesome.
I've read here and there that people have had some poor experiences using it. I suppose it would all have to be a matter of quantity. Ageing to allow the flavours to mellow isn't a problem, either, as I (currently) bottle condition and like to mature my brews for at least two months.

Do you find that the flavours will dissipate completely if left for too long?

Try Styrian Goldings for flavour and some fresh orange peel.

I use fresh oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits for a spritzy citrus heavy witbier.

You could use the Cooper's Canadian kit with Styrian Goldings boiled for 15 minutes in some DME and the zest for 5 minutes for a refreshing Summer Ale.

I'm not sure if this is what your are after but there are commercially brewed wheat beers with orange peel and coriander. Grand Ridge Brewery have one I believe, and I'm sure there are other breweries too.
Hoegaarden would be the obvious example.

I've made a kits n bits clone of Hoegaarden wheat using orange peel/zest and coriander (along with some other ingredients that I don't recall at the moment), boiled for 10 minutes. Tasted somewhat accurate, although a little more intense.

Do you find that the flavours will dissipate completely if left for too long?

Ive had mixed experiences with the consistency of the strength of the aroma for some reason over the life of the keg, days when it was served too cold there was no aroma, otehr days there was bucket loads at the same temperature. The same situation occured for being too warm as well, although i did find more often the nuttiness stood up more the lower the carbonation was when it was warmer. I guess it has todo with how well the aromas dissipate/settle in the headspace of the glass to be able to appreciate the aroma. Either way, i will do it again for sure!

I'll advocate the use of liquor essences as long as its done with some brains. e.g. a calibration beer/tester before dumping it in a whole batch with a 'suck it and see' method.

Freshly crushed coriander (best got from an indian store) has an amazing tic-tac orange flavour/aroma, you get more flavour from this then from orange peel imo.
Or do the essence thing. Maybe even supermarket food essences would work.

Q

Freshly crushed coriander (best got from an indian store) has an amazing tic-tac orange flavour/aroma, you get more flavour from this then from orange peel imo.
Or do the essence thing. Maybe even supermarket food essences would work.

Q

Most of all make sure its indian corriander seed too. this is usually noticable by A) product of India or B) they are longer egg shaped seeds compared to the almost spherical australian corriander seeds. You can sometimes get a light greasy/soapy aroma (like you do from the corriander leaves) from the aussie corriander or even worse vegetal and pickeled ham flavour in your beer.

i've done a number of 'hoegarden'clones with coriander seed and bitter orange peel. boiled in water for 20 mins then add goop, stir and add to fermenter. simple, effective, yummy.

Latest posts

Back