How To Improve Vic Case Swaps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggestions
How many bottles in a case of stubbies?
How many bottles in two cases of long necks?
How many L correctly fills 1 corny keg?
How many L do you get from a typical willow NC cube into bottles?! (take into account fermenter/filter/trub losses)

Which answers:
How many L to fill two cases of longnecks?

The writing is on the wall! :icon_cheers:

Although i do agree with Thristy and Rook. I feel like i end up drinking myself stupid over the space of a month or two with the longnecks. I kinda feel pressured to drink them relativley quickly to give feedback before the energy around the thread dies. This latest swap wasnt that much of an issue as the last of my beer cider was taken to the sawp day anyway so the only beer i had to my name was 28 26 bottles of case swaps.

I the only major gripe ive had was the quality of beer that was swapped at the 09 xmwas swap. Close to one in two where infected. That and the 28bottle debacle that goes on every swap. I can supply 28 bottles but i'd prefer 24 for ease of production with my system (but dont change for me). I'd say this goes for all who no chill as well.

I could always attempt to no chill in my fermenter but i'd prefer to NOT change my process and end up presenting crapola beer.

Hey fourstar, I NC in a 25L cube that I got from Rays outdoors. Was, like ~$15. Sometimes end up with a little headspace in it, but I squeeze most of the air out of there. Kept wort in it for a few weeks with no negative effects.

The thread was posted up not for the reason of dividing or judging, but simply seeking opinion, and there are many. Improving the numbers senario is a good start.Its been mentioned, 28 is not a good craftbrew number, buts that what it is and at Xmas 2010 i`ll deliver 28 bottles.
Will I enter another swap at 28? probably not. I have to brew twice, then drink and try give some feedback on all the beers I received in return, the last swap was near on 1 month ago and i`m 4 beers down, I`ll still be drinking the last swap when the new swap comes around :)

Haysie, why don't you host the xmas in July 2011 swap, and cap it at 24 swappers? If you host it, you make the rules.

Haysie, why don't you host the xmas in July 2011 swap, and cap it at 24 swappers? If you host it, you make the rules.

I offered to host the 2010 along with a few others. Fents was chosen by the participants, fair enough too. Luckily Chris is finally going to appease the brewers from the east s/east.
Cap it 24? i`d cap it 20 or less. There has been plenty of good post`s here to suggest things need improvement, i dont intend on repeating myself anymore about the "magic" number 28.
Other ideas/improvements maybe the tasting thread?, its really found wanting after the initial 4-6 weeks, as maybe Fourstar mentioned "lacks energy". Then again it probably comes down to just too much beer.

I offered to host the 2010 along with a few others. Fents was chosen by the participants, fair enough too. Luckily Chris is finally going to appease the brewers from the east s/east.
Cap it 24? i`d cap it 20 or less. There has been plenty of good post`s here to suggest things need improvement, i dont intend on repeating myself anymore about the "magic" number 28.
Other ideas/improvements maybe the tasting thread?, its really found wanting after the initial 4-6 weeks, as maybe Fourstar mentioned "lacks energy". Then again it probably comes down to just too much beer.

Fents had already offered I think but considering the number of swappers in the last from down your way it's not a bad idea for a future swap. I think there were 3 or 4 swappers and at least one non swapping attendee from down your way. Be at least 3 or 4 in this one again.

I agree about the tasting - I think it's an important part of the whole thing and making an effort to taste and offer honest feedback in the threads makes a big difference. I realise not everyone drinks at the same rate as me though.

Doesn't have to be BJCP notes - just some good honest feedback that shows you've made an effort.

I agree about the tasting - I think it's an important part of the whole thing and making an effort to taste and offer honest feedback in the threads makes a big difference. I realise not everyone drinks at the same rate as me though.

Doesn't have to be BJCP notes - just some good honest feedback that shows you've made an effort.
I agree with both points made above, but I think a primary part of the swap, and the aftermath is in keeping things simple, and not have the tasting become an onerous chore.

I got a couple of different perspectives on my beer within the "Tasting" thread, it was enough for me to identify weaknesses and find focus on the strengths in my beer. More would have been great, but after a few similar reviews, it becomes re-hashing what's already been said.

I guess everybody needs to decide their primary motivation for joining in the swap?
  • Drinking 24 different beers brewed by 24 different brewers, and having a great fun swap day,
  • Getting objective feedback on your own beer from 24 different brewers, and having a great fun swap day

Will probably cop some flak for this statement, but "It's just beer" :icon_cheers:

I
I got a couple of different perspectives on my beer within the "Tasting" thread, it was enough for me to identify weaknesses and find focus on the strengths in my beer. More would have been great, but after a few similar reviews, it becomes re-hashing what's already been said.

So, it is rehashing then? Of course it is. The "brewday" comment is a bit one eyed, maybe you suggest non attendees dont participate?

So, it is rehashing then? Of course it is. The "brewday" comment is a bit one eyed, maybe you suggest non attendees dont participate?
If the brewday comment is one-eyed, it's only cause I had a hoot of a day.

Understand not everybody wants to come along, and not everybody can come along, whether they want to or not.

Absolutely no inference that people who don't come along can't get involved in the swap.

The re-hashing comment was more about trying to keep the signal:noise ratio down by not adding redundant information.

If I agree with all the points that Fourstar, or Hutch or somebody has already put in print about Wardy's fine ESB, I don't see the value in writing a similar review using my own words. If it was mcook done the review, yeah, I might put my own spin on it ;)

As is was, your Pilsner was the second beer I reviewed, and thought it was an excellent beer, enough to convince me to try my hand at a lager next up.

Cheers and beers

You putting your hand up, Leigh?

Could do...

Will put up a thread for a bonfire/brewday at my place in the next few days (just need to finalise the date)...if somebody wants to organise a "small" swap to conincide, I'm happy for that to take place.

Back