How to hoist a 60L fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I sold my old 60L FV when I lived in SEQ because I found I wasn't using it for double batches as I'd intended and it wasn't getting much use. I had a gas bulkhead in the lid and used top pressure to fill two kegs out of the FV to avoid lifting it, worked a treat.

Here in my new location I really only have one fermenting fridge nowadays which fits a 60L perfectly, so I've decided to go back to double batches to make better use of the equipment I've got.
And guess what, the next door neighbour had an almost new 60L which I bought off him yesterday.

Now, God has arranged that my skyhook in my new brewery is just in front of the ferementing fridge and I've got it set up as a double pulley system which could lift a horse, so ideally I can just trundle the FV out of the fridge (Kegmate model so the bottom of the fridge is just about at ground level) and gently hoist it so I can fill 2 kegs out of it. Whilst I'm quite fit and nimble for my age, no way am I going to do my back in lifting a 60L onto the counter.

Current idea is a marine plywood platform, four eye bolts and four chains, and a collection of SS hooks. The idea of chains is that I won't need to do complicated knots, boy scouts splicing, whatever.
The other idea would be some sort of net to hold it, but no idea how to go about that.

Ideas?

hoisting platform.jpg

If you're going with the chains and platform, I'd definitely be looking at 3 sides for stability.

Another idea maybe one of those cargo nets people throw over the top of a trailer. I don't know exactly how one would modify it, just throwing the idea at you ;)

Another idea, if the FV fits, maybe the seat of a baby jolly jumper?.... just remove the spring thingy.

or

Cut the back off an old chair, turn it upside down attach chains to the legs and use as platform.

You could use a small pump, and leave the fermenter in the fridge.

Otherwise, I could see it tipping off a platform, so something like those carboy carriers would be better, something flexible that wraps around it.

Could you get a trolley jack underneath your fridge?

Ferment with the fridge on the ground, then when you want to keg, slide the trolley jack under, lift to the required height, stabilise the fridge with something (maybe a couple of besser bricks?). Fill your kegs at leisure using the unstoppable power of gravity.

Will the handles bear the weight?

Two big hooks

Need to solve this problem too. Lifting 65KG is getting old (even with SWMBOs help)

Gas bulkhead is plan B seeing as the skyhook is right there. However can you use a brown pump to transfer green beer? Any sanitation problems with them?

Bribie G said:
Gas bulkhead is plan B seeing as the skyhook is right there. However can you use a brown pump to transfer green beer? Any sanitation problems with them?
you'll want to do lots of cleaning, a better option may be a peristaltic pump or syphon (like used in demijohns)

One of the brewers up here has a stand under the fridge, so the tap of the fermenter is above keg height. Still a bugger to fill the fermenter though.

I've been thinking of changing over to a large fermenter, and though about using a brown pump (or even my Kaixin pump)

To fill it, just pour the cube into a bunnings fermenter and pump it into the 60L fermenter which is already sitting in the fridge. Repeat for the second cube. You could even put an aerator on the end of the transfer hose.
To drain, pump from the 60L fermenter into the kegs.

Sit back and have a beer while the pump does all the work.

QldKev

Aha, thank you gentlemen but solved. :)

As Pete would no doubt agree, when lifting it's not so much the first stage, it's the final swing up to the counter top which can be a bit dodgy for retired superheroes like Pete and myself.

So I did a dummy run with 42L of plain water - assuming I'm going to lose a few litres to yeast cake etc.

Got the FV onto the blue cube ok and started syphoning, then when it slowed down at around 30L left in, I nudged it up onto the chair and it filled the keg ok.

Then it was just the same as a normal FV, up onto the counter and filled the second keg.

Divide and conquer. :beerbang:

60 litre setup 2.jpg

60 litre setup 1.jpg

Simple way is always best! :)

Sure somebody was designing a helicopter mount so it could hover while you filled the kegs :p

tiprya said:
You could use a small pump, and leave the fermenter in the fridge.

Otherwise, I could see it tipping off a platform, so something like those carboy carriers would be better, something flexible that wraps around it.
+1 just pump it in...

Bribie G said:
Aha, thank you gentlemen but solved. :)

As Pete would no doubt agree, when lifting it's not so much the first stage, it's the final swing up to the counter top which can be a bit dodgy for retired superheroes like Pete and myself.

So I did a dummy run with 42L of plain water - assuming I'm going to lose a few litres to yeast cake etc.

Got the FV onto the blue cube ok and started syphoning, then when it slowed down at around 30L left in, I nudged it up onto the chair and it filled the keg ok.

Then it was just the same as a normal FV, up onto the counter and filled the second keg.

Divide and conquer. :beerbang:
Just saw this Bribie & agree that your way is cheapest & easiest. A bit similar to my 2-stage keg manhandling into the keezer. :)
Too easy.
Retired superheroes :ph34r: still need pumps in the HERMS brewery.

lift the whole fridge on the skyhook....

then open the door and drain it into the kegs

Bribie G said:
I also have a bulkhead in my 60L fermenter but found I was using a hell of a lot of gas in doing it this way, so I started using a little brown pump for transfers. I pump through a solution of starsan first then start pumping. I'm still young but have near on given myself a hernia trying to lift a double batch from my chestie onto the bench for keging.

Maheel said:
lift the whole fridge on the skyhook....

then open the door and drain it into the kegs
That's stupid. He should dig a pit in the middle of his garage in front of the fridge.

I tie a rope through the two robust handles of the fermentor, then I'll use two pulley's (from climbing shop) to lift the 60L with my body weight. I never use my upper body muscle I just do a half squat and up she comes. Thinking about buying better rope as I think it will make the job significantly easier. By using body weight I completely eliminate the use of my back. Learnt it at a recent working at heights and confined spaces coarse actually :)

Latest posts

Back