How to get started in Cider. The definitive(ish) guide to beginner&#39

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle ageing is fine.
Oak chips are fine if you like oaked cider.
I never met a hopped cider I enjoyed but if they are your thing then dry hopping is also fine.

If you are bottle carbonating cider, do you use the same amount of sugar/dex as you would a beer? i.e. 1tsp in 375ml / 2tsp in 750ml?
Also is it ok to bottle in clear glass (corona 355ml bottles) or do they have to be dark?
Thanks in advance & sorry for the newbie question :)
I have done cider before when i first starting brewing but always resorted to drinking them flat. It's nice if they are a bit sparkly lol

Same priming sugar amount is fine - just make sure the batch has finished fermenting properly. Juice will get to 1.000 and even lower.

Clear bottles can work here because there are no hops (unless doing graff/hopped cider type) but uv is a powerful force that affects more than hops so I'd take that option only in a pinch.

hi probably a stupid question but this apple juice should work?
https://www.spreytonfresh.com.au/index.php/juices/
second stupid question if i make my cider in a glass demijohn is there a chance it will blow up not just blow the bung out?
and third stupid question i watched this video and he uses something to stop the fermentation process is there any down side to the stuff he uses? (sorry about not using the right word and just saying stuff)

Spreyton is something I've used in the past successfully (as part of a mix). Make sure it's preservative free.

Does your fermentation vessel bung have a hole or airlock? Gas just needs somewhere to go and to blow up, your vessel needs to be totally sealed.

I haven't watched the video but most of the likely products may slow fermentation or yeast reproduction - they are not something to use in place of safe bottling practices though. High levels can have a flavour impact but if used properly should be OK. If it's sulphite related (eg sodium or potassium metabisulphite - some people don't react well, the powders themselves can be bad for asthmatics when using/mixing.

thanks heaps bungs have holes so should be safe yeah? probably just look into safe bottling practice :) thanks again

one more noob question after ive brewed said cider for say 2 weeks? i then turn off heat and test with a hydrometer every few days till i get the same reading every day? or? really sorry just a bit confused

How much heat are you applying? I prefer to ferment cider reasonably cool - how cool may depend on the yeast. Between 10 and 14 is my preference

Once it's close to 1.002, I'd test every few days until it stabilises. That's for straight apple which can get below 1.000. Add malt or pear juice or whatever and it will finish a bit higher.

i live in tasmania so im figuring i'll have to apply heat just to get it to 10 maybe 15 tops still unsure on best method for this was thinking of using this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heating-...hash=item27bc802572:m:mQ492WgLWFgeNh2Mvnzf8QA) and this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-...OZ-plug-/201828381242?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276) but was also unsure if it would make it to hot?

ok cool when should i do my first test? and will it slow down the fermentation taking the lid off to test? or should i use the tap on the bottom to test? this is what ive decided to make my cider in http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/American...605087?hash=item25b262bc1f:g:sJEAAOSwLnBX26pV

Tap at the bottom. Test after a couple of weeks - no harm done.

I'm in tas too. Today is a beautiful 16 deg day in hobart (well hobart greater at least). Winter is a good time to do cider. Got a mate down at Nubeena who'll be pressing 150 kg of various apples this weekend.

so i shouldn't need to use the heat pad setup? what would you suggest? just a heater on low in the same room on the colder days or? far out how much juice will that make? sounds like heaps lol

Not suggesting you don't use it. Just don't try and get the juice to 22 or something silly and try and keep the temp constant. A fridge with controller is a good thing to have so you can set and forget but ambient brewing can work fine too.

My main objection to heat pads is that they heat the bottom of the fermenter where all the yeast gathers and cooked yeast isn't great.

Anyway - have a crack, taste the results and adjust next time if you think it needs it. You'll make a tasty brew with spreyton and patience, don't overthink it.

cheers again manticle you've saved me a lot of wasted money i have the perfect room already will start brewing asap :)

far out how much juice will that make? sounds like heaps lol

With fresh apples, the juice yield will vary depending on apple variety, vintage/season, methods and equipment but as a rough guide, bank on about 1/2 juice volume by weight (so 75 L per 150 kg).

It's not all for his own consumption. He won't tap till close to summer, he stores and gives a lot away and is investigating going commercial.

Back