How To Drive My Grain Mill, Recomendations Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceAlmighy

Reaction score
Ok boys,
I have just received a Birthday present from my wife; a Millmaster grain mill. Now comes the dilemma on how best to drive the unit. I would like to use a love joy spider coupling to connect to a drive source (see attached photo if it attached correctly) so i don't bugger up the drive shaft, but i am still undecided on how to drive the unit. As i do not currently know how much torque and what RPM is needed to drive the unit, hence the post. There also seems to be a few different avenues of drive sources to explore for example:

Agricultural = belt and pulley 230vac motor
Low Tech = cheap drill from Bunnings
Hi Tech = DC worm drive motor + speed controller

Thought and experiences would be appreciated as i am looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into this project.

LJ_Lovejoy_Coupling.jpg

I just broke my mill in this weekend with the drill, it's also a Minimill.

I have been looking around sometime now for motor options to drive it with and don't want to stuff around with pulleys etc. Eventually I come up with one of 2 choices.... Have a look on QLDkevs website, he runs a decent motor the other being the Motion Dynamics motor linked above. I reckon I'll go the MD motor.

haha.
I also read that as "broke my mill" instead of "broke my mill in" the first time.
Glad to hear it's all good Bill.

OP - I'm totally happy with the 10 000 000 torques Ozito cheap drill from big green shed.
Simple to set up and use, and can also use it as a drill, or a BIG cordless screwdriver.
(OK, I exaggerated the torque figure)

2nded the spade handle ozito drill. For the 1-2 times a month that I brew it's perfect. Pretty much plug and play with speed control dial on the drill trigger.

2nded the spade handle ozito drill. For the 1-2 times a month that I brew it's perfect. Pretty much plug and play with speed control dial on the drill trigger.

said drill in action (click to play vid)

a love joy coupling would also be good for me maybe

i seem to be re-cycling this vid a lot
i like the drill it also cuts through SS like butter with a hole saw

ps: your wife must be a top chic :lol:

Motion dynamics 250w geared motor. Running at 12v it should do about 160rpm, no need for speed controller. About 8Nm torque which should be heaps. $79.
Pc power supply $0-$20
I just ordered these very things on thursday.

Plus the spider coupling. What size is that coupling Bruce? I'm having problems getting one that is 1/2" (the mill size) and 6.5mm (the motor size).

For mine I used one of these and drilled it out to suit. But my mill was only 3/8", but I think it would have plenty of meat on it for 1/2"; they drill very easily. Those Lovejoy from the first post, allow you to buy the 2 sides separately. So you can get each side with the correct hole size.

QldKev

Motion dynamics 250w geared motor. Running at 12v it should do about 160rpm, no need for speed controller. About 8Nm torque which should be heaps. $79.
Pc power supply $0-$20

Plus the spider coupling. What size is that coupling Bruce? I'm having problems getting one that is 1/2" (the mill size) and 6.5mm (the motor size).

I installed the motion dynamics motor on my millmaster (the original one) and it does the job very nicely. No way I could use a drill ( tried and failed) and the belt pulley systems look like too much work to shield them (plus getting a pulley made was going to be expensive as I missed the bulk buy)

For the couple, I drilled a hole through the mill shaft and used a high tensile bolt to attach the mill to the motor. The mill shaft fitted well enough there's a bit of play in it but no dramas so far.

Cheers blokes, BSC at Heathcote seems to be the closest Lovejoy shop, will try them on Monday.

Have a look at QldKev's website. Highly recommend the set up with the electric bike motor. No dangerous pulleys and easy to set up, also heaps of grunt. Costs around the $100 to $120 to set up.

I run my Marga using a "window winder" motor out of a Toyota. Runs off an old PC power supply. Pretty simple.

Pc power supply $0-$20

I pretty sure i saw one on ebay yesterday 1/2" to 1/4" (6.35mm),http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lovejoy-coupling-1-4-X-1-2-spider-3-piece-set-/330619477639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa74de87, so i would presume that you would be able to buy a step down coupling. I am going to try these guys on Monday,

NAISMITH MFG CO PTY LTD
149 HEIDELBERG RD BOX 261
NORTHCOTE 3070 VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
AU

Bruce

Phone: 01161:3 94899811
Fax: 01161 3 94821474
Products: Couplings & Power Transmission

Hi BA,

I went with this option to power my Crankandstein CGM2A mill.

I went with the DC worm drive motor as it was easier for me set up and had the ability to change the speed settings if required.

I haven't got around to taking any pictures of the final product; the hopper is the simple spring water bottle method.

I currently have it running at 130 - 138 RPM.

Cheers,

Wally

Edit:- added rev range used for milling

Thanks Wally for putting your video up, does your drive come from Motion dynamics, as this name seems to be popping up rather a lot? If so what the the model number so i can have a look at the specs on line.

Cheers Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
said drill in action (click to play vid)

a love joy coupling would also be good for me maybe

i seem to be re-cycling this vid a lot
i like the drill it also cuts through SS like butter with a hole saw

ps: your wife must be a top chic :lol:

Hi Maheel

I do Like the KISS design (Keep it simple) and the idea a premade motor with gearbox attached ie: a drill is a very tempting way to go. My only concern is clamping the chuck of the drill directly onto the drive shaft, does it damage the shaft in anyway?

Cheers Bruce

Ps. My wife is a great, she has to be to put up with me
icon1.gif

I run my Marga using a "window winder" motor out of a Toyota. Runs off an old PC power supply. Pretty simple.

Hi Plastic man

How did you marry the two components together?

I have meet a Melbourne brewer called Darko through a mutual friend who i believe has this type of set up. He told me he burnt out a rather good cordless drill from overuse before switching to a windscreen wiper motor. He says 'It works well, but it is a little slow'. How long does it take you to mill 5kg of grain ?

regards Bruce

Bruce

It aint the fastest grind. Runs about 80 rpm. Never really timed it but from memory it takes about 10min to do about 5kg. This isn't too much of a drama as I fill up the hopper and start the grind then go and get other stuff ready. I think I read soemwhere that a slow grind can be an advantage anyway. I think the window winder motors are a bit more torquey than the wiper ones. Mine gets pretty hot and I always think that it will die one day but it keeps on going.

A mate turned up a simple coupler on his lathe but some sort of spider coupler should work easily enough.

Here's a quick vid of it in action:

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remember that that particular ozito drill is specifically designed for high torque applications. It doesn't run away on the mill shaft like a normal high rpm cordless.

The ability to use a keyed chuck to tighten it properly is also an advantage.

Hi Maheel

I do Like the KISS design (Keep it simple) and the idea a premade motor with gearbox attached ie: a drill is a very tempting way to go. My only concern is clamping the chuck of the drill directly onto the drive shaft, does it damage the shaft in anyway?

Cheers Bruce

Ps. My wife is a great, she has to be to put up with me
icon1.gif

My drill has marked the shaft a little but not enough for me to be concerned. just from locking it on / off each use as it does not slip
if i left it in place and did not remove it there would only be 1 set of marks, continued removal is leaving a few extra.

i think a coupling screw (s) would also do a little damage but the non-removal would be an advantage. i should use one i guess

Latest posts

Back