How to dispose of spent grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I had chickens, the fuckers wouldn't even touch it. The dog isn't interested either, fussy *******.

Fussy chooks mate, mine know the tub I carry it in and come running when I take it down the chook yard.

Chooks and compost.
+1 for the compost, was throwing mine in the green bin but lately have been throwing in the compost the sugar left in really gets the worms active, noticed the same thing when I was asked to try out a molasses based feed for plants, don't think the plants were interested but the increased worm activity made it worthwhile.

I'm lucky enough to work at a school that has a few chooks. They destroy it.

Dog biscuits..... affectionately known as poo biscuits. Lotsa good fibre and makes " clean up" a whole lot nicer. Treat biscuit not food.

Couple of US websites with heaps of recipes. Dog and human, going to have a crack at a few others.

My wife who is a teacher takes it to school to feed her chickens

I was giving mine to compost but more recently I've been giving it to the rats. Bought an electronic rat trap so hopefully back to just compost again very soon.

Dog biscuits..... affectionately known as poo biscuits. Lotsa good fibre and makes " clean up" a whole lot nicer. Treat biscuit not food.

Couple of US websites with heaps of recipes. Dog and human, going to have a crack at a few others.

I've made some biscuits before and a double batch of the biscuits supplies my dog for 6months and that's only 8 cups of grain! lol I do give to friends etc but it would be impossible to not become a commercial dog biscuit manufacturer if I was to get rid of all my spent grain that way. Doggo does love then I must say!!

I've bought a large cheap plastic plant pot with drainage holes and a saucer that I let dry out over the 2-3 days between my brew day on weekend and our bin day. I then either put it in regular waste or organics if it's organics week...

Only thing I can add is if you spill it around your garden and lawns, even the compost I avoid tossing it around at night when the grist is still fresh hot and steamy because its ability to attract every rodent in the neighborhood. I let it sit in the tun and spill it around the next morning cool so dries out through the day and doesn't act like burly for rats etc.

+1 for chooks and compost.
I sometimes dry a heap of it out on flyscreens to store dry for chook feed instead of dumping the majority on the compost.

Made some biscuits this weekend. Dog loves them.
Optimized-IMAG0166.jpg

If your nearest farmer or community garden is already inundated in spent grain, innovation is the watchword, and Alaskan Brewing Co. found just the right solution. By developing “a first-of-its-kind biomass steam boiler,” fueled entirely by their spent grain. Ashley Johnston of ABC estimates that “The new boiler will completely eliminate the brewery’s use of fuel oil in the grain drying process, and displace more than half of the fuel needed to create process steam for the brewing process.”

In turn, this boiler will lead to “more than a 60 percent reduction in fuel oil use in the first year, and, with moderate growth assumptions, this translates to a fuel savings of nearly 1,500,000 gallons of oil over the next 10 years,” Johnston states. “As the brewery grows, so does our fuel source, leading to even more savings.”

With this technology, ABC is taking sustainability to a new level, using their raw material waste to power their day-to-day brewing operations, thus creating a perpetual loop that conserves energy, saves money and is readily available. Of course, not all craft breweries can afford to invest in such technology, but necessity is the mother of invention, and ABC’s solution is a model reminder of what can be done in the realm of alternative fuels.

Copy / pasta from: https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/sustainable-uses-of-spent-grain
Sounds like one big wank to make out how environmentally friendly and green there beers are. Why would anyone brew beer in Alaska to sell in United States what are the freight costs and would think its worth more as animal food then fuel .These boilers that burn strange fuel have a habit of being expensive to repair and unreliable.

There are a few breweries disposing of their spent grain this way, a greener option than coal or gas. There are also a few breweries who turn it into methane to fuel the boilers and water treatment, there is actually a good documentary about Dog Fish Head Brewery and their methane plant.

There are a few breweries disposing of their spent grain this way, a greener option than coal or gas. There are also a few breweries who turn it into methane to fuel the boilers and water treatment, there is actually a good documentary about Dog Fish Head Brewery and their methane plant.
They all tell you how clean it burns and there is no pollution but with the spent grain what is its value as animal food and what value as fuel if fed to animals the shit also has value and can be used to fertilize the grain field or turned into methane.

The burned spent grain still has its uses on the land, I am sure I read somewhere they run power stations in India on burning rice hulls. The residue left is then put onto farmland.

Back