How To Crush A Small Amount Of Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q: The best way to crush a small amount of grain?

A: The same way you crush a large amount of grain.

I'm happy for you, or any AHB member, to call along at my place and use my MillMaster to crush their grain. I'll even adjust the gap to your preference.
So long as it is geographically convenient for you, I guess.

hammer_1.jpg

depends if your up for a drive im over near ryde bring it over and ill run it through. just pm me first.

Go talk to Pat at Absolute Homebrew at St Marys and get him to crush it for you I'm sure he will help

Otherwise rolling pin with the grain in a big ziplock bag or very light use of a blender

No car fans here eh?

Put it in a zip lock bag and drive the V8 commodore over it a few times :lol:
sorry, I'll go back to the other forum

No car fans here eh?

Put it in a zip lock bag and drive the V8 commodore over it a few times :lol:
sorry, I'll go back to the other forum

Time for the TopGear V8 Blender me thinks

v8blend.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up crushing a small amount fo grain using the coffee grinder on the coarse setting

looked OK , remained in the voile bag

I made a recipe from the Brewing classic styles book by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer

I made the OLD BLACK BEAR brew

short on the steeping grain by 75 g so used a bit of the uncrushed lager grain which I 'crushed'

because it was not the dark grain it then made the recipe OLD BROWNE BEAR

bubbling away now

I ended up crushing a small amount fo grain using the coffee grinder on the coarse setting

looked OK , remained in the voile bag

I made a recipe from the Brewing classic styles book by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer

I made the OLD BLACK BEAR brew

short on the steeping grain by 75 g so used a bit of the uncrushed lager grain which I 'crushed'

because it was not the dark grain it then made the recipe OLD BROWNE BEAR

bubbling away now

Yep a semi decent conical burr coffee grinder on a course setting will give an "ok" crush, something similar to using a corona mill i suspect.
I think on AHB when coffee grinder gets mentioned everyone just assumes you will be using the little chop chop spice / coffee grinder like what nickjd uses, which seem to give him decent results anyway.
Funny enough they are a rough as guts option for grinding your coffee very inconsistent.

Hey brewers,

I realise grains are meant to be milled / crushed, not ground to powder but I'm looking to see if it's possible at all to modify the blades of a juicer so it doesn't actually slice the grains but "beats" them, essentially breaking their shell / splitting them.

I've just made my first concentrate brew but am really keen to try steeping some light grains to add to the next batch as a trial.

I can potentially modify (blunt and / or bend the cutting edges) this blender:
qUFCdHW.jpg

I can control the spindle speed to some extent.
Should this be acceptable for preparing steeping grains?

Cheers!

I would just buy milled grain, so much easier. Tried doing a kilo the other day with a rolling pin deadset pain in the arse.

I would just buy milled grain, so much easier. Tried doing a kilo the other day with a rolling pin deadset pain in the arse.
Yeah, makes sense (for now anyway) - I'd only invest in the mill once I'm ready to go full swing AG.

I think it would be exciting to crush my own grain and will probably look into it long term, but in the meantime I will keep buying milled grain have a mob of other things to sort out first before I get to that.

Our Kogan blender does just an Okay job, but efficiency is generally down compared to a proper crush.

Usually I get around 1.050 with a pre-crush grain order compared with only 1.044 or similar with the blender.

I'm on the lookout for a second hand grain mill aa I'm keen to get more consistency in my brewing.

Our Kogan blender does just an Okay job, but efficiency is generally down compared to a proper crush.

Usually I get around 1.050 with a pre-crush grain order compared with only 1.044 or similar with the blender.

I'm on the lookout for a second hand grain mill aa I'm keen to get more consistency in my brewing.
I have a Barley Crusher mill I no longer use, I will have a root through the shed and find it I know there is a hopper with it but no base board. I was going to use it for the harder grains but couldn't be bothered setting it up.
Your welcome to it, the drive shaft is very slightly bent but still works ok.

I have a Barley Crusher mill I no longer use, I will have a root through the shed and find it I know there is a hopper with it but no base board. I was going to use it for the harder grains but couldn't be bothered setting it up.
Your welcome to it, the drive shaft is very slightly bent but still works ok.
Brilliant weal, happy to work out a price that suits if you're interested in letting it go. Cheers mate.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:Awesome mate, at least let me fix you up for postage? PM sent.

edit: or let me send you a six pack of best.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back