How to clear extract brews in bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
In John Palmers book ,

How to Brew

he recommends not to use irish moss and whirfloc to clear beer if you are brewing
extract based beer

At the moment I brew mainly with LDME and some grains

I have used gelatine
but find the residue in my bottles floats on the bottom and usually comes out in the glass

Is there a better way to clear brews like Pilsener , which is better when clear

Would it be better to add the gelatine at racking which would not end up in the bulk prime

and would there still be enough yeast to carbonate

Do you cold condition? If not, I would try that for roughly a week and you might find it clears your beer enough that you don't need gelatine.

I don't use gelatine, but if I did I would probably do it before racking.

You will still have enough yeast to carbonate whichever way you do it.

If your issue is chill haze try polyclar and cold crash for a few days/1 week and see how that goes. I used to polyclar and filter but I now just secondary (which is actually a cornie) with polyclar and CC for 3-5 days (normally). I find this gives great results without buggerising around with a filter and cleaning it etc. Personal preference, YMMV

bah

edit - spulling

Gelatine into the bottle clears the beer spectacularly, but as you have found it produces "fluffy bottoms" so it's a wasted exercise.

The trick is to clear the beer before bottling using gelatine or other finings. Even though the beer looks clear, there are still millions of yeast cells in there that will fire up secondary fermentation and leave you with just a dusting of yeast on the bottom of the bottles.

The "yeast" book gives a figure of how many millions of cells per ml are the "threshold" at what the human eye considers the beer to be clear.

Latest posts

Back