How to bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question. Ive been brewing beer in an FV with a tap. Now ive done a cider in a 5 ltr bottle obviously with no tap.
How do i bottle. Do i just pour slowly straight into bottles with a funnel or do i have to rack with a syphon
Cheers

Normally you would use something like a 'racking cane'. That's what our US brethren usually use to rack their beer from their 5 gallon glass carboys to a "bottling bucket" with a tap. It's specially designed to siphon the beer from the fermenter without sucking up too much of the trub.

Without a racking cane you need some way of getting your cider into a container with a tap...pouring the cider directly into bottles via a funnel might well introduce too much oxygen. Do you think you can pour from the 5l bottle into your tapped FV without splashing it about too much?

Do you think you can pour from the 5l bottle into your tapped FV without splashing it about too much?

If I lean the FV on its side and just driblle it in it might work. Might have to bight the bullet and get a cane. Would probably then start racking beer which can only be a good thing I suppose

meathead said:
If I lean the FV on its side and just driblle it in it might work. Might have to bight the bullet and get a cane. Would probably then start racking beer which can only be a good thing I suppose
Please record and post if you do this.

Latest posts

Back