How To Avoid The Dry Hops In Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys,i have dry hopped my pale ale in secondry with a couple of handfuls of goldings"flakes"i notice there are some sitting on top of the brew,as i am going to bottle later this arvo i was wondering will the dry hops run into the bottles.how do i remedy this ,or will they not enter the bottles at bottling.
cheers
fergi

When you are dry hopping put the hops in a "hop bag". A piece of stocking tied off at the ends will do. Just make sure you santise it first.

I dry hop in secondary using a coffee plunger.

You need a large coffee plunger if using pressed flowers, 'cause they swell up to about 10 times their pressed volume.

If you don't have a coffee plunger, put them in a pot. Cover with boiling water. Let sit 'til cool. Strain into 2ndary.

What you could do for this time as I am guessin you have to rack the brew into another cube/fermentor to bulk prime (if you bulk prime that is..?) anyway if your racking the brew, tie a hop bag or stocking to the end of the racking hose to catch all the floaties...

If you've got a Bias Boating warehouse near you (www.biasboating.com.au) you could drop in & get one of the mini-hopback thingies like I did this arvo.

Cost $15 and should be the goods........

P1010030.JPG

ok thanks for the answers guys,that looks like a nice little piece of equipment there jez,anyway what i did was to put a funnel on the end of a piece of the bottling cane then stretched a piece of the missus stockings over the funnel . .
. .
RACKING CANE .>>> . .
. .
./\/\/
. .
. .
. .
FUNNEL ..............>>> . .
. .
. .
. .
. .
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
PANTY HOSE >>>/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

GEEZ I HOPE MY BEER DOESNT TASTE LIKE FISH PATTIES
cheers
fergi

well i dont know what happened then,my diagram looked fine ,but as i posted it the thing has come out all wrong,anyway i still hope my beer doesnt taste like fish
fergi

Back