How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon just run 2 lines of electrical tape up the side then put 2 pieces horizontally at each marking point and make every 5L mark bigger or just mark every 5L even.

Then get good at subtraction as the water rises and lowers heh

I use the "that looks about right" method...simply because after a while there is a ring at where the correct volume is in the kettle.

marking_zps447f56ed.jpg

I still haven't upgraded from my piece of dowel with texta on it..

Definitely not the most sanitary option by a loooooong way, although I just take a quick reading at the start by dipping it in the kettle, take it out and see where the wort mark is on the dowel. If I need to adjust by a certain volume I'll measure that out using my measuring jug.

EDIT: I'll get around to doing something with shiny SS one day.. I might even use my SS mash paddle as a measuring stick on the handle end using this battery method. Saves me worrying about diminishing the quality of the kettle (even though that may not even be an issue)

idzy said:
If someone finds some suitable stencils, please post :)
Maybe the stencils found in stationary shops,

If so many are interested in having a measure why not a piece of stainless strip 25 mm x 1.6 mm and put the markings on that just in case the chromium / nickel balance is damaged by the process.

So I jumped right in and gave it a go. Not perfect but it turned out better than it looks in the photo. 28L mark is the shortest one, didn't give it enough time.

IMG_20140309_121044.jpg

I would have thought corrosion wouldn't be a major issue, as the Iron would plate out faster than would either the Nickel or the Chrome so the etched surface should be more "rust proof" than the rest of the surface - trade off being that it would be rougher - meh - I think it’s not going to be a problem, but that's just an opinion based on doing a bit of electro polishing.

As for the stencils, I think the ones used for glass etching would be the best as they are already a negative image and they are made to resist acid (HF a nasty one at that), there are some on eBay but I think I recall seeing some at Spotlight in the craft section they certainly sold the glass etching paste there, you has to wonder how that would go at etching stainless, its definitely a strong enough acid, but maybe it will just fluoridise the surface and make it bullet proof

When I have done this in the past I just used a small cold chisel and a big hammer, roman numerals are your friend.
Mark on IX/III/MMXIV

sponge said:
I still haven't upgraded from my piece of dowel with texta on it..
Yep, I still use my 'ol measuring spoon marked with a sharpie since day 1

Edak said:
So I jumped right in and gave it a go. Not perfect but it turned out better than it looks in the photo. 28L mark is the shortest one, didn't give it enough time.
hi Edak

what stencils did you use for your pot ?
I have tried a lot of places and the are either not available or they are to big.

So has anyone managed to find decent stencils for this project ?

Cheers tate

tateg said:
hi Edak

what stencils did you use for your pot ?
I have tried a lot of places and the are either not available or they are to big.

So has anyone managed to find decent stencils for this project ?

Cheers tate
I printed them (laser cut) from my DIY laser cutter.

Where are you located? I might be able to afford some time to print off a few over a beer or two.

Edak said:
I printed them (laser cut) from my DIY laser cutter.

Where are you located? I might be able to afford some time to print off a few over a beer or two.
Thanks Edak
That makes since now I have been looking for the last week for decent stick on stencils, with no luck
I am located near the melb airport
Cheers
Tate

After doing a brew, cleaned the vessel and leaving for a week and a half, the whole pot is still perfect with no evidence of corrosion or damage. I will honestly say though that having the markings made it sooooo easy for this latest brew, hitting all numbers perfectly!

I might have preferred a fancier font, but given the numbers have "holes" in them I found I was limited in my selection. Still having the ability to now etch any design into metal is awesome and I would like to thank the OP again for posting this method as I had not come across it before.

PS I measured the water vols using my grain scales (correct to 2g), too easy!

IMG_20140315_110329.jpg

Latest posts

Back