How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome.

Although I`m Wondering if the cheaper style kettles would rust?...just a thought

Thats the ticket, Id not been arsed making a new stick for my new(ish) kettle, mostly Ive been just judging it with my thumb, not really been too much under or over but that is just awesome in it's simplicity and why the hell wouldnt ya!!

Nice one

Thats awesome, Im goin to do them on the outside of my urn alongside the siht tube.

Gents dont make the mistake I made when I first measured out litre marks on my kettle. For ages I couldnt work out why my volumes didnt seem to match up with my brewing software. I had used a cheap $2 shop jug to mark them out and they were way out. So use a good quality jug.

Truman said:
Thats awesome, Im goin to do them on the outside of my urn alongside the siht tube.

Gents dont make the mistake I made when I first measured out litre marks on my kettle. For ages I couldnt work out why my volumes didnt seem to match up with my brewing software. I had used a cheap $2 shop jug to mark them out and they were way out. So use a good quality jug.
or don't use a vessel, put your pot on an accurate scale and know that 1L water is 1kg.

That's great! Much nicer than sticking my tape measure in there. Thanks for posting!

Would the etching create a roughened area for bacteria to hide in?

Truman said:

Better still, use an accurate kitchen scale to weigh your water measurements

EDIT too slow, as per edak

superstock said:
I probably wouldn't do this to an SS fermenter but mash tun/kettle should be of no concern

superstock said:
I was wondering would this be detrimental to the chromium layer?

Cool idea, just soldered a couple of alligator clips onto a 9VDC regulated power supply I had lying around at work, will give it a shot tonight.

Thanks argon

Cool. I should use this method.

Back